ad: M2Ant-1

2 Meter & 450mHz Brick Amplifiers- Short take

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

My 222 brick is a vintage pre MFJ C211 Mirage at 2w/110W out or reduced to 1W drive when using the HB 8877 amp. It is driven with a "modernized" Microwave Modules transverter.

For 2M a RFC 2-117 at around 70W has been driving a HB 3CX1000A7 amp for over 30 years. It is also driven with a "modernized" Microwave Modules transverter.

Both were bought used and I dont remember ever using the preamps as I could build far better ones along with HB sequencers.

Both bricks were 80's era and I modified for Class AB1 bias for MUCH better linearity and are used only on CW and SSB.

The only TE amp Ive owned was for 432 and with the output down to 35W I set one of the ARRL tropo records in 1992 which still stands. At the cost of replacement finals I gave the damn thing away and another "modernized" Microwave Modules 432 transverter drives the AM 6155 at 400W just fine on CW and 325W on SSB.

For 903, 1296, and 2304 I built DEM transverter kits.

Carl

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Larcan Hi Hi six holer.

1500 watts all day out the pipe.

Just Google.

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. No problem with it at all. I have the ICE LPF on it & it is fine on the spectrum analyzer. 1700W is where it starts getting dirty.

Ed

W2VW likes this.
  4. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

I gotsa 20 piller that will do da same, good buddy!

Larcan ... :p

I like my Commander 144-VHF. As far as bricks I use an RF Concepts 2-317 170W, which seem quite linear up to 150W outpoot.

5. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Commander is nice but you should have sprung for a K1FO with 2 3CX800s.

That's even worse than not using your alpha on AM.

No way can you make funny faces at Larcans.

Don't make me come over there.

6. AA7QQ

I made funny faces at mine on 6M.
    First time using it, band was dead. Hit the switch. Low & behold, 6M woke right up. 11 contacts that day in November.
    I was a grinnin'

Ed

KM1H likes this.
  7. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I heated my basement with them about 7 years ago. Bench tested about 50 of them. One at a time.

8. AA7QQ

I think I paid aboout 350 each. One for 6 & the other for 2. Ebay capacitors, W6PQL sequencer board, LPFs & server supplies.
    Still cheaper than any other route for limit.

Ed

W2VW likes this.
  9. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fondly know as Lunar Link amplifiers. Tried to keep company alive after he passed away but the price of Eimac tubes makes it impossible. Chinese tubes not reliable enough. Sad.

W2VW likes this.
  10. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Henry Radio made some decent amps for ham repeaters. I have Mirage amps for 144 and 432 MHz-- never had an issue, but I suspect the IMD performance of any of these amps is rather poor. Mirage is now owned by MFJ, but my amps are older versions. 6 mtr amp is a TE, it has also been pretty reliable. Regarding SWR protection, I've never seen it incorporated in any of these amps in the 200 watt or lower class. Which SS bricks include SWR protection?