ad: elecraft

2-KD Classic Henry Amp. HV wiring

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N0JA, Dec 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N0JA

N0JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Took apart my 2-KD Classic to do some maintenance. Noticed some cracks in the HV wiring that goes to the front panel switch used to switch the HV transformer secondary form CW to SSB. The insulation on this wire had become very brittle and would crack and fall off the wire when the wire was moved. Replaced all this wire with some HV cable I had on hand. Replacing the wire was "Tons of Fun". Is this a common problem with some models of Henry amps.? If so, does anyone know which ones to watch out for? What should one charge for this replacement?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm surprised to hear this, and have owned three Henry amps and worked on several others; never saw that before. I had a 2K-4, a 3K Classic X and a 4K Ultra over the years, they all had the separate power supply/RF deck setups.

Usually they used high temp rated silicone rubber insulated HV wire and it didn't crack even after 30-40 years.

That one may have been built the day of the Christmas party or something.:p

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the 866's radiated the insulation......

4. N0JA

N0JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a 2KD-5 which is even older than the Classic. (The D designates desk top version.) The insulation on the HV wiring is in excellent shape. Even though these amps are old, neither one has been used a whole lot, and both have the original Eimac 3-500z's I believe. Actually used 866's in a PS for a 4-811 amp. I built in the early 60's.