2 element 40m Delta Loop

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VK4NDX, Apr 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK4NDX

VK4NDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I have been using MMANA-GAL basic for a couple of months and designed a 2 element 40m delta loop. I scaled a 20m delta loop from the MMANA included antenna files and designed one myself, optimization gave big element / boom difference . If anyone could give some feed back and let me know what you think of the model it would be much appreciated. I will email maa file if interested.

Thanks
    Dave Screenshot (45).png Screenshot (51).png Screenshot (48).png

2. UA3TW

UA3TW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not to attach it here in zip form?

3. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Are both loops feed with one 90 degrees out of phase?

4. VK4NDX

Attached is the Zip file. The Delta Loop is feed at the bottom of the driven element @112.5 ohm.

Thanks for response.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. UA3TW

UA3TW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, what did i notice - taper wire set is not properly formed. I think you want that your telescoping tubes are thick beneath and thin on top where wires are connected. Such tubes are coded as > because the tubes that have thick middle and thin ends are coded <> (symmetry). Since your tubes are not symmetrical, you have to situate tnem so, that the beginning of the wire (X1Y1Z1) is thick and the end of the wire (X2Y2Z2) is thin. I attach the model.
    I did not tune it.

Attached Files:

6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be one massive antenna... you hanging it off of a cliff?

There is a guy out of Costa Rica who blasts into Asia with his. I think he has something like a 6 or 8-el delta loop for 40m. Insane gain, and I believe he did say it's off of a cliff.

7. VK4NDX

Nick. Thank you very much, I now have a better understanding of the taper wire set. The antenna models the driven element 600mm longer. I will keep working on it. Thank you for your time and help with this. It takes a while to learn this program but it all starts to come together with time and help.

8. VK4NDX

Derek, the Delta Loop will be tower mounted on the side of a hill with best take off short path USA , Asia and Europe. Gain is showing about 5 dBd. If it works well I will place 2 more directors on the boom. :).

KE0EYJ and K2XT like this.
  9. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what ham radio is all about. Great work.

NH7RO likes this.
  10. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

The design difficulty with a multi element 40 meter antenna is not so much electrical as it is mechanical. Antennas with 46 ft elements and 31 ft booms (for 2 elements) require a strong support structure. I assume there is something other than that 46 ft, 0.157 inch diameter, wire holding it. If whatever is holding it is conductive that should be included in the model. If the wire is next to a fiberglass tube for any significant distance, that should also be included in the model because that will change the dielectric properties of the wire.

Seems to me that the mechanical design of a three sided element would be more complicated than that of a 4 sided element.

Erecting a 40 meter 3 dimensional antenna like a quad, or a multi element delta, is also a lot more difficult than putting up a Yagi.

I found a site selling fiberglass spreaders suitable for a 40 meter quad. You won't believe the price.

Side note: While looking for pictures of 40 meter quads I noticed someone is advertising a 7 element 160 meter quad, also a 7 element 80 meter quad same price. Fake picture. Pure fiction. Got to be some kind of scam site.

Jerry, K4SAV

K2XT likes this.