2.4ghz amplifier is it safe?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KJ4YZI, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just looking for a serious answer or few answers. If i installed a 8 watt 2.4ghz amplifier for use with hsmm-mesh or broadband hamnet, through a 24dbi parabolic grid dish antenna, what would the EIRP be at the focal point of the dish, and would it be harmful to me if it was on the top of my 40 foot tower facing away from my house? i know i wouldnt want to be in the path of it, but would it hurt the neighbor behind me?

2. WD4OOZ

WD4OOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

At the focal point the power would be 8 watts.... that 8 watts ( it radiated in all directions ) would not be a factor for you or your neighbor from a 40 ft tower. Unless ...the dish faces directly into the neighbors house and the house is very close.

Respect the 2.4 GHz radiation as you have a microwave oven power levels radiating from your dish. Don't work on the dish with the tx on.

I've worked with higher tx levels at 2.4 GHz and have a great respect for what can happen if you get sloppy. I wouldn't stick my head into a working microwave oven...would you???

WD4OOZ
    Jerry

3. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I often worked on 10 and 3 cm radars rated at 50kw inside the mtr. Had to while tuning and tbl shooting. Never went aloft at the antenna except on those that thad
    the mtr up.. Then, it wasnt so much the rf as the rotating antenna that worried me.. It waS A long long drop from 50 feet above the bridge to the steel decks below.

I find, however, that I no longer need a night light for reading.

Lee
    NI7I

4. PD0AC

PD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

The antenna you (and I) are using has a very narrow opening angle. So narrow in fact that I have trouble logging into the system from my living room, while another ham miles away can do it easily. No risk to neighbors if the height of the antenna is sufficient to go over all other houses, but don't work on the antenna while the access point is operational.

wifi-grid1.jpg

You can calculate EIRP here:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaecalc.html

This was the result of my experimental setup I tested a year ago:

[​IMG]

5. WD4OOZ

WD4OOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a long ty Rap with a Ne 2 bulb attached to the end. It would always sticking out of my shirt pocket when climbing up to work on radar units or high freq antennas. If would be held up above my head when getting close to the antennas to verify they were not transmitting and safe to continue getting closer. It only takes one mistake!!!

WD4OOZ
    Jerry

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont forget the lead lined jock strap...................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.