ad: k1jek

1x2 or 2x1 call signs via vanity application: How hard?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WR3N, May 20, 2018.

ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WR3N

WR3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I stated my question unclearly. I think I submitted my vanity application on the correct day though because a bunch of others did also. Must just be a quirk of how ae7q's website works.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

The owner of the AE7Q site has put a lot of effort into making the site a useful tool for Vanity callsign seekers. I would say that providing clearly understood data was given very high priority, though it would seem that a few can still view that as a data presentation quirk. The only quirk I see is that in this case all valid submissions throughout a 3 day window that included the weekend are equally eligible.

With only 7 valid applicants (out of 10), the odds of winning the K3 Baffled Extra call are 14%. Not terrible odds. Not great odds. For anyone not lucky this time, we might see how they make out with a future application that has to be submitted on an singularly exact date (assuming competition for the call).

3. KG5QBI

KG5QBI Subscriber QRZ Page

It is annoying when, while waiting for a couple of interesting 2x1 and 1x2 that come available in about a year, you see a rather interesting 2x2 available. Then starts the process of looking harder at available 2x2 and 1x3 and second guessing oneself.

4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Such a situation is totally self-inflicted and therefore avoidable.

One needs to decide which route they are going to follow...wait for the desired 2x1 or 1x2 call to become available and then enter the lottery for it, with a good chance of not getting it; or, grab the 2x2 or 1x3, with a minuscule chance of being involved in a lottery for the call. (Several years ago, I did see two folks apply for the same 1x3 on the same day, so the lottery process was in play. No way to know if the two knew each other and deliberately applied for the same call on the same day, or if it was a truly random occurrence.)

The bottom line: one needs to make a decision and then stick with it.
    (And this is not a life-altering decision...it's an amateur radio call sign. Annoyance and second-guessing shouldn't even be in the picture.)

Regards,
    -Bruce

5. WR3N

WR3N Ham Member QRZ Page

My confusion with the website was that it listed the "availabe" date right up until the available date, and on that day it listed the available date as blank, and the call as not yet available. The next day it showed the call as available but of course that would have been too late. Clear as mud, AB3TQ. I'd say AE7Q should fix his disfuctional website.

I've also decided you should hate the game, not the player. Based on the lottery rules I have to apply for the calls I'm luke warm about because I might not get the few I'd really like. So if I get one I'm luke warm about I'm certainly not going to worry myself with what others think when I apply a few months later for the ones I really want. Its not me that's doing it wrong, its the FCC.

6. AD7DB

AD7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not apply for a sequential 2x2 first. Who knows, you might like what they give you.
    Me, I started looking for something with my initials, and I was using the lists in the (sadly now defunct) Vanity HQ website.
    Bam, saw this one sort of jump out at me and I knew I had to have that one. "If it's 87dB, it must be AD7DB!"

7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't really understand all the hoopla. But it does bother me that so many people have vanity call signs who wouldn't know an antenna from a transceiver.

Of course I love my 1x2 call sign, but it is neither a vanity call nor sequentially assigned. When I made extra ( 1970 ) the only calls available were K's and W's, no A's and no N's. The N call signs belonged to the Navy. But when the Navy gave up the series I received an email from ARRL advising me they were available. I requested N4UP and got it. So I am the only-ever holder of that one. UP stands for Upminster, the town where I was born.

In any event, a couple of years ago some friends and I started a club and applied for a vanity call sign for the club. We didn't bother with 1x2 or 2x1. Went straight to 1x3 ... found one available ( N4ACW ), applied for it, got it. We wanted something that would work well on both CW and SSB. Some call signs are horrible on one or the other or both. If you want people to get your call sign correctly-easily when you contact them, then pick a call sign accordingly. For contests/QSO parties I sometimes use the club call sign because it gets through more easily than my own.

Another friend did the same thing for his club, K7ACW. I am in 4-land and he is in 7-land. Neither of us would ever consider an out-of-region call sign. That is just our choice.

It used to be that if you heard someone with a 1-region call sign you could swing the beam toward New England and work him. Now you have no idea where to point without looking up his call sign.

WD0BCT likes this.
  8. WR3N

WR3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there's no accounting for individual taste. I desire what I do for reasons that are my own. I want a 4-character call. There are some that appeal to me that will be available in the coming months and now I know how to go about applying.

Thank-you to those who have been helpful.

9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you Dave. When I upgradded I applied for and received my Uncle Bud's (SK) K4AGO call. He was my Elmer. I grew up without a father and Uncle Bud took me under his wing and taught me what it meant to be a man and a gentleman. I say the heck with a 1x2. Get something meaningful or fun. Dave, I like your unique UUU call. It hits me right between the eyes when I see or hear it.
    John K4AGO

W7UUU likes this.
  10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you truely want a 1X2, go for it. I hope you are successful in getting what you want.