ad: ProAudio-1

1U4UN Bir Tawil operation

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NT2X, Apr 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

Dmitry Zhikharev, RA9USU called me from Bir Tawil on the satphone 20 min ago.

I will not make any statements for him, but would like to relay the following:

He has made about 500 QSOs so far, and was giving his generator a rest while he made a phone call. He will be on tonight on 40 and 30 meters, and that is all. They will be leaving the area in the morning. He is there with an entourage of several people on two jeeps. He has a problem with a power supply, and let's hope it holds until the operation is complete.

1U4UN had a nice signal on 21 MHz into the USA this morning and let's hope he has the same on 40 and 30 tonite. He is using a barefoot transceiver and a 40m vertical. He's got good ears and there is nothing there in terms of QRM - the desert is all around him. Make an effort to work him tonight. Bir Tawil is a no-man's land, an area between Egypt and Sudan (see Wikipedia for more information), and holds an interesting DXCC potential. It is claimed by neither country. It is very difficult to get to this place. I will leave it at that. 1U4UN can be found in QRZ.com database, right here. 1U prefix is self-assigned for this operation. Anyway, WFWL.

Dmitry should be attending the Dayton Hamvention 2016, so hold your questions until then :))

Good luck to all

73, Ed/NT2X

2. UT5JCW

UT5JCW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is just a pirate. There is a known russian RA9USU named himself the King and took illegal call sign working in the air. You know the Internation law is not the way to live for Russians. They think they can do whatever they want. It is just the Russia.
    Maybe, he always worked from many DX teritorry the same way ? After that who would know....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. 1U4UN

1U4UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sergey, I see that I hurt your feeling somehow, by doing something so unusual, so it just can't fit in your imagination. Unfortunately for you, there is absolutely no International laws broken. Yes, I claimed the no-man's land and created the Kingdom Mediae Terrae Bir Tawil. I took unassigned prefix 1U (which is from the 0's and 1's block of ITU prefixes, which would be never assigned to any country in the future), unlike some well-known DX operators and newly created countries. If you have any solid grounds for your claim - you are welcome to share it with me, I would love to experience your absolete level of expertise on that subject.

4. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sergey, UT5JCW you wrong
    Its looks like political action not amateur one for sure.
    You blaming Dmitriy because he is russian? Thats not good atall
    73 Al 4L5A

RA3MD likes this.
  5. UT5JCW

I don't need any explanation how RA9USU came to a decision to use PIRATE call sing. It is just the fact . I see that he is just the person who is NOT following the Law. He banned all legal principles in amateur radio. He had been using the PIRATE CALL that he had assigned for himself by himself ! He worked in the air using illegal call sign and that fact should be known to ham radio society. We should now ask the question to the CQ magazine and ARRL why they still count his DX peditions on their awards? If he used the PIRATE CALL once then he probably might do it the same way in other DX pedition.

And there is no politics and no peronal! I am just pointing amateur radio society to the fact that someone is using ilegal call sing !

That is all. And I don't need any explanation anymore. Explain it to someone not me.

6. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sergey ok its great that there is no politic and no personal.
    About illegal calls:
    1. There is many DXCC countries with no allocated call. (thats quite long list).
    2. 1U call is accepted by qrz.com also because there is no call allocated for that territory by ITU.
    If Dima will use SU or ST call from that area for sure that will be illegal and thats main reason he use 1U call sign
    I think its clear

Again we dont like to see politics here on qrz.com

7. 1U4UN

1U4UN Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1U4UN?

Mensch! So close! I'm trying to log 5U4GB!

9. UT5JCW

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a 1U4 listed in the tube manual but not a UN suffix, must be one of those Russian clones for the audiophools:eek:

KC9UDX likes this.
  11. KC9UDX

Do a QRZ search for 5U4GB. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.

12. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That only turned up a banned member here Matt. Did I miss something? Tis funny though, getting a call book mixed up with a tube manual!

13. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Various tube designations have been used by bootleggers for decades and 5U4GB was one of them. There were also 6L6GC, 6J6WA, 5R4GB, and others about the time that various colonies were given independence and DXpeditions really took off.

Having become a ham during the tube era I didnt joint the pileup frenzies....which could be huge:rolleyes:

Carl

14. KC9UDX

I just though it was funny someone would do that.

15. UT5JCW

And what we see now… This guy 1U4UN known RA9USU is the first one in the list of the PIRATE / ILLEGAL callsigns issued by CQ MAGAZINE.

http://www.dxmarathon.com/helpfulhints/2016/Invalidcallsigns2016.htm

And this fact is reasonably raising a question - Should they still count his previous DX expedition on such honorable awards like DXCC, WAZ and others?

We know there is 3W3RR who is in the US prison for more than 10 years now who also liked to use the PIRATE calls. All his DX expeditions are not being counted now……

Guys, what you think about?