160m ... what an amazing band!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W7UUU, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

I've worked 160 for many years - NEVER with a "good" antenna for that band.... I've always
    relied on the big guns with their Beverage receiving antennas, and phased array towers on
    a 20-acre farm or whatnot....

But a LOT of fun tonight... worked Montana, California, Oregon - all 599+++++ and my
    report back is always at least 599 - all the "upper bands" seem dead here - called CQ for
    an hour on 40 with no response... on a fluke, went down to 160 and have had a BLAST!

150' random wire at 30', 50+ feet of which are actually IN the attic, then sloping down to 8 feet,
    matched with a Kenwood AT-180 tuner as a single wire, to my FT-950.... I know there
    are MANY on this board who would say that would never work - but honestly, for whatever
    weird cosmic/atmospheric/RF reason, it just seems to do SOMETHING on 160m that no other
    antenna I've had in 37 years did.

Anyway, back to making QSO's on 160.... you out there? Listen for me - going to do another
    round of CQs at 1.840 CW

Dave
    W7UUU

2. K7GFH

K7GFH Ham Member

Shoot sorry I missed you. I too have been amazed by 160 meters. I have been playing with JT65-HF lately and have been amazed at the distances signals can travel. 250' inverted V at 40' here. Hope to work you sometime.

3. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber

160m is a nice band. Right now I lack AK, HI, and WV for WAS on CW on 160m. I do like that there is sufficient activity to keep things interesting but not too crowded.

4. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member

I have been enjoying 160m as of late as well.

Nice group of guys on 1900, well at least they were friendly and welcoming to me when I stumbled onto them.

All I have up for 160 is an Alpha-Delta DX-LB Plus and it seems to be doing a damn fine job.

Had many people tell me it was junk, then they gave me great signal reports .... when I told them I was on that antenna and running 100 watts all they could say was " Oh! ... well I *heard* they were not good! " ;)

Gotta love equipment reviews from people who never used the equipment! ;)

5. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

All three states were well represented last month in both the ARRL 160 'test as well as in Stew Perry. FANTASTIC 160 meter opening to Japan during the ARRL '160 test last month. Added 50+ JA stations to the log.

Possibly your last 2 (or 1 if your CW only) chance's to get AK, HI & WV on Top Band this winter:

[TABLE]
    [TR="class: blightergray"]
    [TD]CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB[/TD]
    [TD]2200Z, Feb 22 to 2159Z, Feb 24[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW 2200Z, Jan 25 to 2200Z, Jan 27

Tom KCØW

EDIT: I'm not sure what's going on with the SSB contest text in the rectangle.

6. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber

I have actually been enjoying contacts on 160 using JT65 and my ground mounted 6BTV. Unreal.

7. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member

I put up an inverted L for 160m a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know that band was so busy. I've worked every state except Hawaii, and a few dx too including Canada, Belgium, Mexico. Using both phone and jt65. Just amazing.

8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member

Contact KL7KY to see if he'll setup a sked and give you a 160M Alaska QSO. He should still have something up for that band, I hope. He's on-air with HF stacks just about everywhere else. :)

Years ago, there was a 160M inverted vee @ 140 feet AGL on this QTH. It worked... ;)

9. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber

I'll get AK and HI someday. Right now I'm limited by a very low antenna that is good for NVIS only and there is no possibility for anything better at the moment. DX on 160m for me is a luxury right now. I do know that NZ0T finally worked HI during the 160m 'test but as I was going to be working a special event station all day Saturday, I cut my time short on Friday night. I'll be looking in the CQ 'test next month.

10. N5MOA

N5MOA Subscriber

He does........I even managed a qso.

A testement to HIS setup.

11. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member

It is an amazing band, although it truly sucks in Interior Alaska, except for NVIS. (Guys down in TROPICAL Alaska, down by Anchorage live in a different universe). I did get to operate 160 from Connecticut though, back in 1987, and with a random wire and 100 watts, I worked ALL OVER South America!

Eric

12. WW0W

WW0W Ham Member

What time and what nights will you be back on 1840??

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

Had my first ever SSB QSO on 160 last night as well (I've never been a big phone guy). It was 59 both ways into Southern Idaho.
    I'm just amazed how well this crappy wire antenna actually works on 160. During the last 160 contest I worked Louisiana, Minnesota,
    a VE2 and Florida - granted they were all "big guns" with massive antennas but still. Really looking forward to the CQ 160 SSB
    contest in February now.

Dave
    W7UUU

14. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

I'll be back on tonight around 9:00 Pacific Time - I usually CQ around 1.835-40 to stay out of
    the way of the DX'ers further down.

Dave
    W7UUU

15. K7GFH

K7GFH Ham Member

A question for Tom. What is the best time to get on 160 meters? I have always been under the assumption that the evening into early morning say a couple of hours before sunup is the best time. Your opinion is appreciated.

Jay

16. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member

Thanks for your post! You give me inspiration. I have been a ham for 25 yrs and never made a contact on the band. Guess I ll load up the 80 mtr dipole and see what she'll do!

17. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

We shall discuss domestic 160 QSO's only.

Last month during the two 160 'tests I was working coast to coast (literally) at 3 PM local time from here in the upper mid-west. The loudest signals by far were coming outta California (2 PM their time) that afternoon.

Obviously when the sun goes down is the best time to get on 160 if you want to work more than just your home state...........I see that you are in Oregon. There are a ton of guys out your way active on 160 meters. You should be able to work other fellow 160 enthusiasts until the cows come home in the two upcoming 160 meter 'tests.

Without a shadow of a doubt the preferred mode on 160 is CW. If you don't operate CW I would then give the digi modes a try. The glory years of using JT65 on 160 meters have come & gone. The mode of choice for 160 meters is now JT9.

My 160 transmit antenna is not typical due to its 3+ miles of wire under it. It's hodgepodged together from the remains of my two 140' phased vertical arrays which were lost recently in a huge ice storm. I'm also using a freshly installed receive circle array. Your millage may vary............Regardless, throw some wire up & get on Top Band anytime from 3 PM local time all the way up to 7 - 8 AM the following morning.

Tom KCØW

18. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber

Help assure our unequivocal access to the entire 1800-2000 kHz band once and for all. Follow the links contained in the initial message posted here, formulate your own well-thought-out comments, then submit to the FCC per the instructions.

19. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

Funny stuff, this band. DEAD here tonight... CW, SSB - DEAD. But not because of conditions, there's NO
    ONE ON!! I called CQ a bunch, and worked a few stations as far away as Arizona - but it's like an empty
    room tonight. Last night, scanning the band CW was EVERYWHERE, with lots of "CQ DX" on the low end
    (which I'll admit I replied to - Ohio IS "DX" to me on 160!! Maybe not to HIM... LOL!)

Ham radio is just like fishing.... I love it. Any day fishing is better than the best day working.

Dave
    W7UUU

20. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member

Actually, it very well could be conditions. Absorption on 160 can often be nearly total. The best check is to listen to the AM broadcast band for DX stations. If you don't hear any, 160 is genuinely dead too.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.