160M receive only antenna for DX What do you use?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N9ATV, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9ATV

N9ATV Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a BOG at my last QTH but since then I moved from the country to the city and I have been unhappy with my ability to receive DX on 160 with the exception of Canada. My transmit antenna is a inverted L but is worthless for receiving anything but strong 9S+ signals at night. I have tried the K9AY and a LOG as well as other antennas I ran across on the web but none seems to get the job done well. I have been pondering a Waller Flag antenna as well but It would take up too much room in the backyard so it is pretty much on the back burner as a last resort. So far I have had the best performance with the K9AY antenna and I moved it 2 days ago. It just so happened the band came alive with DX that night and I found my transmit antenna worked just as well as the rec only antenna and although the S/N was better on the K9AY it couldn't hear anything the transmit antenna couldn't. I was running FT8, not voice or CW. With my BOG at my other home when I would switch to it signals "jumped out" that were not on my transmit antenna. This hasn't happened with anything I have tried yet.

For you city dwellers that run 160 DX what do you use for a receive antenna that can compare to a BOG? Or are my expectations too high?

Sean ~ N9ATV

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use two sets of inexpensive wire receive loops that I run into a null canceler. I spent $100 on 1000 ft of RG6 cable, F connectors, and a crimp tool. All eight loops fit in the back yard of my 0.3 acre suburban home just 2 miles from work. Works well enough for 117 countries confirmed--mostly on CW. Though I do know how to use the mic if I hear a really loud DX station. Last night I confirmed that the loops also work really well on 40 meters.

I had a half wave 80M beverage that worked well enough to work Japan but I took it down as I never used it once I started putting the loops up. If I had only one loop it would be aimed at Europe.

Zack W1VT

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. N9ATV

Do you have a link to it or design info? Thanks!

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

ON4UN's Low Band DXing book has the dimensions for the K6SE/EA3VY loop or flag antenna--they optimized it for broadband operation to cover 1.8 to 7.5MHz. This book is a great reference for anyone trying to work DX on 160.

Zack W1VT

5. K5RT

K5RT Ham Member QRZ Page

SAL-20

6. W4OP

W4OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Also a Shared Apex Loop Array (SALA) here- electrically rotatble every 45 degrees and instant pattern flip.
    Dale W4OP

7. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Which BOG hardware did you use? I have a pair of KD9SV combos I'm going to try.

mike

8. N9ATV

I used the messenger wire from a roll of RG11 (large cable tv coax that has a wire attached to hang it from poles) and laid 800 ft on the ground, minus the coax, drove a ground rod then connected a resistor to the ground and the steel wire. I don't remember the value of at the moment. I used a 1 watt carbon resistor. The input was a 9:1 transformer the with 75 ohm coax connected directly to the transformers low impedance side with the antenna connected to one leg of the high impedance side and a ground to the other. At least that is the way I remember. It has been a few years since I made it.

9. N9ATV

Thanks, I will check it out.

10. N9ATV

This looks a lot like the K9AY except the SAL is more directional. It sounds promising. I will have to go to my google friend to find more info and plans for it.