13 Colonies Special Event - Fail! Rant ....

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by KE4OH, Jul 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK3Q

KK3Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Volunteer as a QSL manager for a special event and you'll soon see why many have changed to downloadable QSL cards and certificates instead of paper. Not only is it a lot of work but you wind up paying for the postage and envelopes for those who won't use an SASE. I did the Florida QSO Party for 3 years for their Spelling Bee, never again will I handle QSL duties by myself. I always appreciated QSL managers over the years and yet after sort of being one for that time I have great deal of more respect for them.

KA2FIR likes this.
  2. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I get it. It's a lot of work. So don't run a special event station if nobody want to do it. Making the QSO is only part of the deal. Logging the contact is another part. And sending out a nice QSL upon request is the final courtesy.

I just don't have any reason to want to work a special event station if I don't get nice QSL.

And just FYI, the OPs for the particular state (VA) in the 13 Colonies event who only provided a downloadable card (it isn't a QSL, because it doesn't confirm the QSO) probably spent all of 20 minutes putting together a very plain, generic offering. Very disappointed in the lack of effort.

If all an OP or club wants to do is make a bunch of "yer 59 in Virginia, QSL?" contest-style QSOs, then why not just do contests? Otherwise, there is nothing special about the special event. I'm pretty sure I've logged Virginia before ...

73, Steve KE4OH

ND6M and KY1K like this.
  3. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve,

Would you like a snack with your glass of WHINE! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS INVOLVED IN PUTTING ON A SPECIAL EVENT OF THIS SCALE!!!!! YES I AM SHOUTING! And YES, for five years, I was one of the SC stations, was QSL manager for SC and was webmaster for the event, so I do know about which I speak.

I am sorry that your personal expectations were not met. Next year, don't participate and you will not be disappointed.

KA2FIR likes this.
  4. KE4OH

Thanks for that Dennis! I did alert that this would be a rant. Rant = whine. Or whinge for any UK readers we might have. And I also indicated that I will not be participating in the future. However, I do appreciate that the SC operators this year will still honor the tradition of providing a QSL upon request and SASE.

73, Steve KE4OH

W6NYA and K1TGX like this.
  5. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you're missing the point that at the start of the event the profile still said send a sase. This change happened in the middle of the evemt! My expectations were that they would honor the SASE that I sent on the 3rd, as the online info claimed claimed at that time! I will not take part in this or any other dumb event in the future as this has shown me people can't be trusted.

6. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

You are STILL whining!!!!!

7. KE4OH

Dennis,

I think you are getting Jonathan (KL1T) confused with me (KE4OH). I'm the one who is STILL whining. Jonathan is only now just beginning to whine...

73, Steve KE4OH

K1TGX and KY1K like this.
  8. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I started whining in post #3...

KE4OH likes this.
  9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

ERR, Steve, I really don't understand your statement.
    CLEARLY I said IF someone sends me a paper QSL, then I would reply. then you go off on some tangent about "But if you didn't, why in the world would I want to...blah, blah, blah".

10. KE4OH

I didn't use paragraphs well, I guess. On the one hand, I'm gratefully acknowledging you personally for providing a QSL (upon request) for the special event you were involved it.

Then my tangent entered the picture! It was not directed at you. I was describing a scenario where no proper QSL is available for for working a special event station. In which case, there is no incentive for me to work that special event.

Hey, I said at the beginning that this was a rant!! That implies emotion and at least some level of nonsense...

73, Steve KE4OH