117 AC or 240

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KG7HKK, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh yeah, how well I know it.. I'm not an EE but I did sleep in a pretty smart motel one night.. I no longer work, I'm too old and cantankerous to even want a job, but years ago my wife and I owned an automotive repair shop.. You would not believe some of the "home engineered" stuff we found on people's cars..

I guess the best one I found was a "re-engineered" ABS system.. It seems the ABS was acting up so the guy decided to rearrange the hydralic lines.. The first time he applied the brakes, they stayed applied and the car wouldn't move.. He had to have the car towed to the shop.. Somebody must have been looking out for him.. I shutter to think what would have happened if after he got through making his changes, the brakes didn't work at all..

KM5FL

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a licensed electrician. You are correct and I can't stress how wrong it is to use such a method. After reading this forum, continuing to do so would indicate negligence were something to happen.

3. KC2FNE

KC2FNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I am only joking. I wouldn't want myself or someone else to unplug one plug and have it be hot and then have my cat lick it. plus I operate in the nude sometimes and if one of those hot plugs is bouncing around, wow something could get burned.

4. KM5FL

OH LORD!!! That's more information than we really need... :rolleyes:

KM5FL

5. KF5UMC

KF5UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding 120 VAC and my amplifier...I realized I needed to move to 240 VAC when my wife turned on the vacuum cleaner...let's face it, my amplifier in use and her vacuum cleaner just maxed out the wall breaker...common sense tells you to use 240 like post #2 and JB says!

John

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Until your wife gets a 240V vacuum cleaner and you've got the only 240V circuit in the house.

7. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Operating a good size amp into an antenna like a G5RV and plugging it into a basic wall outlet is like putting slicks on a VW bug.

8. KM5FL

I don't know about that, Lou.. A few years ago my son put 7 inch slicks on his '66 V Dub and went low 12s in the quarter. Totally street legal little car. Bored and stroked to 2115 CCs, Scat Cam, EMPI crank, dual Weber 48 IDAs, pie pan flywheel, etc, etc.... About 10 years or so ago, a couple boys out in Hawaii built a VW "based" 3 liter engine and put it in a 225" alcohol dragster chassis, power glide and twin turbochargers. Called it "Quarter Flash", or something like that.. Brought it to "the mainland" and looked for a track that could handle the power. Ran it on a track in Arizona. Damn thing went 7.06... Made the cover of "HOT VW" Magazine..

Now back to your regularly scheduled program..

KM5FL

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  9. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly my point Nick. He did everything needed to the car so that having slicks actually meant something.

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I put a Corvair pancake 6 in a bug, hauled butt! Hated the nose in the windshield and cramped seats of all bugs of the time. Just used for street racing so it was never drag strip timed but it terrorized many of the smaller engine muscle cars.

Also remember one with an Olds V8 rear mounted and direct chain drive running the streets of Milwaukee in the 60's

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.