ad: w5yi

117 AC or 240

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KG7HKK, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2FNE

KC2FNE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is one long posting. I have read a lot of good advice on this one. I got my amp using a 240 line now. I just made a home made plug. I took two regular plugs and pony tailed them together and then plug them both into an outlet and then plugged the amp into that, instant 240. Next I will switch out the breaker to a 30 amp and give it plenty of power.

Bob

2. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't increase the breaker to 30 amps.
    It offers no benefit like 'plenty of power' and becomes a danger of not tripping when it needs to..
    You must understand the breaker is to protect the feed line from overheating and burning the house down. Not for plenty of power.
    If you notice the fuses in the amplifier are made smaller when gong to 240 volts input from 120, not larger.
    You did change the taps inside the amplifier for 240 operation, I hope.
    Good luck.

3. KC2FNE

KC2FNE Ham Member QRZ Page

The salesman said I can plug it into any outlet and power it up. 110 or 240 its all the same he said. The only taps I know is tapping a keg or a women.

4. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're joking, right???

5. KG7HKK

KG7HKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be a smart A##, I learned the hard way.

6. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Naaaaaa!!! he's not joking at all. I've used that very same method several times.. Worked every time.. You just have to be mindful of the polarity when braiding the ponytail.. And if you want an amp to really fly, install a 40 amp breaker.. As the electrons pass through a 40 amp breaker and transistion into that 14 AWG wire, they really accelerate up to very near warp speed. Talk about driving the watts up!!!

VVVAAAAROOOOMMMmmm.

<the sound of my exhaust as I rapidy exit this thread....> :)

KM5FL

7. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please be careful about taking advice on this forum when it comes to safety and electricity. If you wire your amp using two 120 outlets and someone unplugs one of them the male end is HOT.....please consult your local electrician and not this forum , this is a great way for a family member to get electrocuted.

8. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

You realize many people are dumb enough to think you are serious. I've seen people do exactly what you said!

At Dayton one year, someone walked up and loudly announced he was an electrical engineer, but was only driving truck because it paid more. Once his qualifications, education, and employment were firmly established, he went on to explain the power cord on the AL1200 was too small and limiting current. He claimed he replaced his cord with a heavier cord and bigger plug so the full current could get through and immediately got 500 more watts.

I politely thanked him and said we would look into correcting that.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure it would really help unless you use the gold plated plug to go with it. Many audiophile shops sell these, they're only about $200 or so.

10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Code violation and hack job. And dangerous. I hope you are kidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.