ad: Radclub22-1

100 Watts and a Wire: Episode 89

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0STH, Mar 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK6ZY

KK6ZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, Radio Shack. Way back in the day when I was 1st licensed in the 1970's, they did have parts in stock. I had one of the 'Battery of the month' cards, and did go for the 'green colored' 9volt batteries then. Yes they always wanted your name and address when making a purchase.

Over the years I bought some of their Amateur Radio Transceivers such as the 'HTX-242' (2 of them) and their mini HTs 'HTX-200 and HTX-400' which I still use to this day. Along with several of their radio scanners. Plus a VOM, and a DMM (digital multi meter) from the Shack in my shack which I still use frequently.

But now go into a Radio Shack store and their highly skilled sales staff have no clue where the remaining parts bins are/ let alone if they have any stock in them, or what coaxial cable by the foot is. No, I don't want or need to buy a cell phone!

K0STH, KF4ZKU and VE3TMT like this.
  2. N5MJ

N5MJ QRZ Lifetime Member #98 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Shopped local rat shacks since 1977. Convenience was tops, as it was (in small towns) the only game in town.

Best deal ever? 2016, when a mom/pop appliance-rat shack store closed. All parts were 90% off, and I bought nearly everything. The proprietors were good folks, and they were really appreciative of not having to inventory that stock. End of an era.

K0STH likes this.