10 Meter Isotron Antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0TNL, May 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone tried using one of these? I'm interested in how effective they are.

Isotron ISO-10 Stealth 10 Meter Amateur Radio Antenna

ISOT10-2.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. KG5WKO

KG5WKO Ham Member QRZ Page

To date, not a single Ham here I know has ever used one and many never even seen one. If you can afford one try it and post results. Quirky antenna but that does not mean it does not work. Their web site encourages using a bridge to tune it and gives me impression needs to be high up. That defeats the height restrictions of my HOA. Wish had big piggy bank, might try one but alas, my wallet says inverted vee 25 feet up in yard.

KE0TNL likes this.
  3. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

My wallet is in a similar situation as yours is @KG5WKO . I live in a apartment building (second floor) so I'm always exploring antenna options that don't require drilling into a building I don't own. I'm actually going to try using a half wave wire dipole in a inverted V setup in my apartment near the balcony glass door this weekend. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd be better off with a simple ground plane or dipole (8.5 feet tall or 17 feet wide). Cost: couple buck's worth of wire.

AI3V and WA7PRC like this.
  5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had one. The key word there is HAD, and I won't have another, just not worth it. All of the Isotrons are more compromise that anything. If you are very limited in available space I would still put in an "only if you -have- to" category.
    Keep looking...

AI3V, NH7RO, KE0TNL and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A (home made) Mag Loop is the "New In" for locations like yours.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can make contacts with Isotron antennas. In general you will probably find they are 15-20dB down from a dipole in signal strength. This means you will be hearing only the strongest of signals on the band.

Location and setup is the critical factor in how these antennas perform. They use the coax as an active part of the antenna. The instructions are not accurate as to theory of operation.

I tried an 80m Isotron while living in a townhouse. It was a very poor, single band antenna, which was crippled from limitations in physical setup. Eventually, I used a ceiling loop dipole on my third floor ceiling, for xmit and a Pro-1B active loop on the front sidewalk for receive. Worked much better.

Do what you can to get on the air. Keep experimenting. bill.

NH7RO and KE0TNL like this.
  8. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't have room for a dipole or GP then a 3-foot diameter STL could give you excellent results when the propagation gods shine on you. I'd get an 8 foot length of Heliax or 7/8th" soft copper tubing and get to work...

9. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of CB firesticks with some turns & you have a better antenna than an Isotron.

Ed

10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Used a 20 meter Isotron for a couple of months many years ago when I lived in an apartment for a brief period in a city where I had just accepted a job. It was on a second story balcony. I was lucky to make any contacts with it.