10 Meter Band Opening 11-26

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W7MMQ, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W7MMQ

W7MMQ Subscriber

I was scanning through the beacon subband on 10 meters last night at 9:30pm local time and heard K6FRC/B coming through at about an S2 here in Central Montana about 900 miles as the crow flies. Then other beacons started popping up in oregon and Northern Cal as well. So tuned to the phone portion and heard no one on except one local Portland Oregon group (800 miles) chatting away. Heard one of them peak to S3 with quick QSB mostly around S0 to S1. The band was definitely open (marginally) to the west coast but nobody on really at all. I always monitor the beacons because unexpected openings is part of the excitement of 10M, although no one seems to pay much attention to it anymore.

Anyways very unusual band opening. I never hear stations in Oregon from here during regular F layer propagation. It definitely was not ground wave or Spoardic E (at least I don't think so). My thoughts are Inversion, or some type of Scatter.

2. WJ5O

WJ5O Ham Member

Great on monitoring the ten meter beacon band....The only "real time" indicator of band openings.... also check the two SDR setups that monitor the beacon band. http://75.65.68.216/ in Shreveport and the http://webradio.k6frc.com:8901/ in Northern California (K6FRC)

Woops! Looks like the Shreveport SDR temporarily off the air......

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. W7MMQ

W7MMQ Subscriber

Thanks for that info will check it out

4. G4OTU

G4OTU Ham Member

You guys need to get your ears on.

10m was open from G to West Coast yesterday evening(The K7FL beacon loud & clear)...it is open on many evenings (UK time)
    10m is also often open to SAM, Africa and various EU spots ....these people are there- listening and working ....but where are you in the States?

Seems to me that many of you just don't really listen. Most evenings I can hear various US beacons, and can see that the reverse beacon network is hearing me stateside ...where are you?

5. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member

Reverse beacon network, PSK reporter, and PropNET are wonderful tools. We need to take note of the information they provide. The big problem is that people'll get on and hear a "dead" band, and go to a different band, rather than making some noise. It takes two to tango; having the beacons is great but hams need to get on to the higher bands more often and spend time calling, not just listening.

6. W7MMQ

W7MMQ Subscriber

I dont get home till after sunset here during the week, so europe already closed here. I listen all the time and that is a problem on 10 meters lots of missed openings and no one around to take advantage of it. If people can't hear a station over S9 they move to 15 or 20 meters. As for me I enjoy weak signal work as it is a challenge. 2 of my favorite bands (where I spent vast majority of time) is 160M and 10M. 160M has both MF and HF characteristics and 10M has HF and VHF characteristics which make both those the more enjoyable edge HF bands.

My biggest beef is like yours. I called CQ for about 30 minutes during that opening and not one call even though I heard 5 beacons coming through at my QTH. Yet we complain about interlopers stealing our frequencies. Well, if we don't use them then we have no reason to complain in my opinion

7. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member

Yeah I heard all kinds of phone activity on 10 last night. Lots of freebanders too. Sounded like Midwestern and Great Lakes area stations to me. Then suddenly it was gone.

8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member

I agree; that's my problem too. I can see the reverse beacon, PSK reporter, PropNET, and DX clusters from my desk but...I'm at work! No rig handily available like Tim KA0XTT. ;-)

I've started to look into remote desktop-ing into my home computer. Since I'm a digital mode guy, I don't really need to QSY the big knob or adjust much once things are set up...

9. W7MMQ

W7MMQ Subscriber

For me it was from around 9:30 pm local time to around 10:45 pm then faded away so fairly short lived. Interesting you heard an opening too so not just a local west coast thing. Interesting thing for me is the last time I was active (1989-1998) when there was a late night band opening on 10M people were there and took advantage of it even though we really did not have all the fancy internet stuff we do now, just hours of listening for beacons. Now, even with all the tools we have available it seems activity has decreased and operators have the attitude "well I can't hear anyone so the band must be closed". Freebanders listen all the time and are actually better at recognizing openings then the modern ham or so it seems. Pretty sad if you ask me.

10. K7EA

K7EA Ham Member

I'm located in Utah and had some great openings into the Pacific (Hawaii, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, various islands) during the late afternoon local time, both days of the CQWW cw contest. Off the back of my beam! When it's hot, it's hot.

11. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member

Seems like 10M is pretty good here in Philly right now.

12. W0DV

W0DV XML Subscriber

I hear someone on 10 meter phone nearly everyday. All I'm using for the band is a 5/8 ground plane vertical. The band doesn't seem to be real active unless there is contesting going on, but there always seems to be someone out there.

13. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

I wonder why you don't think it was Eskip? There have been some 6 meter E openings lately, so I would expect 10 to be open that way, too, and in the middle of the night. K6FRC is in the foothills of the Sierras, so I think tropo in your directions is wildly unlikely - far too much granite to get through to his east. My guess would be some E-clouds to the north of him.

14. W7MMQ

W7MMQ Subscriber

Could have been but didnt "sound" like E prop to me, too weak and QSB was very rapid. I was also hearing signals from washington to Central California very large area for E prop all signals never got above S2. I will listen again tonite.

From what I remember from Sproadic E (it's been 14 years since i have been active so my memory could be foggy) is that it is usually under 700 miles and longer peaks with slower QSB I had maybe 15 seconds to copy Q5 so had to have people repeat call 5 times in a row to complete it. All these stations heard were 800 miles or more like K7FRC

15. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member

10M phone is usually pretty dead here. Same with CB and freeband stuff. Sometimes I can scan from 26.000 to 30.000 and back over and over for hours and never hear any voice modes. Usually just some CW on 10M

16. W6RZ

W6RZ Ham Member

The Boulder ionogram shows a pretty strong Sporadic E layer last night (at 0330Z).

[​IMG]

17. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member

The modes you talk about, such as PSK, are narrow band weak signal modes. They may not be an indicator that the band can support SSB signals. When someone tells me that a band is open for PSK etc... my reply is, Oh that's nice. I'm a talker, not a contester.

fp

18. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member

It's true that the band may be open for narrow modes and not for wide modes. It'll still serve as an indication that something is up. I agree, "the band is open" is a relative thing.

19. WP2XX

WP2XX Ham Member

H44MS is working a decent pile right now on 28460.

20. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member

Didn't realize that contests create different propagation effects than "talker" propagation. Must be all the gas emitted from the "talkers".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.