1.25 Meter Amps

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K7JCN, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7JCN

K7JCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok. I'll look for it. My plan is to attach a pulley to the roof and secure the middle and near the top of the mast and pull it up that way so it doesn't bend, much. I hope.

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What I have is a guyed mast 10' away from my mouse. It's 30' from the ground to the highest point on the mast. It's constructed of alternating diameter sections of SCH 40 galvanised steel "water pipe", that is, it's rolled and welded lengthwise. Really, not the ideal thing for anything structural, including antenna masts. But, it does work. Like I said earlier, you'd get more bang for your buck buying steel or even aluminum tubing (as opposed to nominal "pipe") from a local steel supplier. You may or may not have multiple such suppliers in your area; I have no idea what your area is like. Such places are more common that most people realise.

Incidentally, you jogged my memory, and the topmost section of my mast is in fact EMT ("conduit"), also not the best stuff, but it does work in my case (I wouldn't use it for more than the topmost section on my particular mast, it's too weak).

If you want to put two verticals on one mast, at least one of them needs to be on a standoff, preferably 1/4 wavelength or further from the mast. That's usually not very practical on a simple mast.

One other thing to consider, 40' of mast will need to be guyed in two places in my opinion, and that would make a reasonably strong mast. However, it could be extremely difficult to erect a mast of that size constructed out of SCH 40 steel pipe, without a boom lift or something. It is very dangerous for two people to raise or lower my 30' mast, which is mounted at ground level and guyed in one place. Granted, it may be a different story in an open area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.