1.25 Meter Amps

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K7JCN, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K7JCN

K7JCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any manufacturers other than Mirage that makes a 1.25m amp? The reviews on the Mirage were not great. Thanks!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How much power are you looking for and what are you driving it with?

Linear, or just FM?

My 222 MHz amp is homebrew, a pair of 4X150As, runs 600W output with 5W drive, but not a small project.

3. K7JCN

Just for FM, 100 watts is my goal. I have a TYT 55 watt rig which is fine for repeaters but would like the simplex option and need a bit more power than 55w.

4. K7JCN

I am using the Alinco 235 in my car, while using the TYT as a base. I may change that if I can find an amp so I'd have 55 watts in the car and 100-150watts from home.

5. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. K7JCN

Very nice. Thanks for posting!

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

You could always aim for 1,000 watts !
    http://www.w6pql.com/1kw_222mhz_ldmos_amplifier.htm

Solid-State Modules from discontinued analog (NTSC) channel 13 (210-216 MHz) TV transmitters,
    were highly prized for conversion to amateur radio 222 MHz, when the TV conversion took place 5 years ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  8. K7JCN

Those would be great, only I'm not that talented in converting things. Bad dexterity with wiring and soldering. If one was ready and available however...LOL.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, Jim Klitzing W6PQL does (last I checked) sell high powered 1.25m amplifiers all built and ready to go, but they are AC powered (home station) amps and not cheap. They're based on his designs and kits, and he was offering them pre-built on order. Don't know how long that takes or if he's still doing that, but you might inquire. The 222 MHz kW amp is shown here: http://w6pql.com/1kw_222mhz_ldmos_amplifier.htm

10. K7JCN

Well, cheap is about where I'm at yet and the $350 these 222mhz amps are going for are almost out of my range. I'd love it if I had 500 watts, but really isn't necessary for my use. Thanks for the tips!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.