ad: KF7PMW-1

“Radio caught on fire, when our technician tried to test it”

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W9GB, Dec 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears that the filter caps let loose which is common in the hybrids, ELNA caps and 470K 1/2W "equalizers" across each can do funny things.
    Just the stock filter so no other goodies but it could be a nice bargain for someone.... NOT me as I already have 4 830's:rolleyes:

Carl

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Electrolyte and fire extinguisher powder poultice all over the insides... Yummy, I'll take that one! :p

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont be so fussy, Ive seen far worse from smokers!:eek:

N3AB, N8YX, N6UH and 1 other person like this.
  4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ain't that the truth.

I used to smoke...many years ago..until the residue caused a problem with the PA compartment band switch in one of my TS-820s rigs. After having to replace it, I swore off the habit around my gear - and swore it off totally shortly thereafter.

W7UUU and KM1H like this.
  5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"Tested" isn't supposed to mean "UL test unit." :confused:

K7TRF likes this.
  6. AC0TX

AC0TX Subscriber QRZ Page

I was at the Belton hamfest years ago and this was this seller with a huge wooden crate of radios that were all apart and in various states of disrepair. The word it was defunct ham radio repair outfit that could never fix anything and demand huge sums to continue to 'fix' the equipment.

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

"How ham radio got me to stop smoking."
    Best ham radio story I have heard in a long time!! Congrats. I have never smoked but I know it is very difficult to quit.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I went through the same thing myself about 7 years ago - except it was cheap cigars (5-8 a day) and my wife smoking 1.5 packs a day, all in the garage/radio room of our old place. I literally ruined all of my radios - TS-440SAT, R-5000, Drake 2B, and a number of others - years of smoking ooze trashed them and I ended up selling the entire lot for $800 as-is. I considered it a "shame sale" and knew I was taking a huge loss.

But I quit smoking, my wife quit smoking, we both joined the gym, started walking and working out and doing treadmill - I lost over 50 pounds and got healthy and she did the same - and we've never looked back.

We too "swore it off totally" and will never go there again.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1BR, AI3V and N6UH like this.