“Radio caught on fire, when our technician tried to test it”

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W9GB, Dec 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

One person's rolling smoke show is another person's fire?

K9ASE and KD2ACO like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Isn't that just one of the most sickening sounds?

First "really new modern radio" I bought was a very-slightly used Yaesu FT-950 and it arrived just like that - a great big maraca with the sickening sound of rattling glass and bits inside the box. How could the UPS guy not notice?

And sure enough, as soon as I opened it, my fears were confirmed: it was trashed.

Thankfully, UPS paid the claim. I got really lucky.

I've had a few others over the years where I wasn't quite so lucky...

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2ACO likes this.
  3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've got an SB-401 in the garage free for the pickup. It's got all the parts in the box including a full set of crystals. Anyone need 401 parts?

maracas.png

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I too have found the "TECH" at hamandhifi to not be too bright, if he even exists.
    Sometimes I have gotten a pretty good deal from him tho.

5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is "fleabay?"

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

fleabay.net was started in 2011 by a guy that wanted to offer people a place to sell things much like you would at a flea-market. fleabay.net is your table.

7. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if it ships with the 30amp "test fuse"?

KD2ACO and K7TRF like this.
  8. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

One would have thought even an average super hero would know this? Here's a clue: fleaBay

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Burt's no ordinary superhero.

10. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's on the sender, not the shipping company. Few people know how to properly isolate and palletize a heavy piece of equipment so it arrives undamaged.

I'll go you one better:

How could UPS completely lose a double-boxed FL-7000? Just happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and as with you..."I got lucky". The seller refunded my money after he'd filed a claim and a tracer. This isn't a package the size of a postcard you'll readily lose under the front seat of the delivery truck, by the way.

Rumor has it that Amazon is going into competition with UPS and FedEx for shipping 3rd-party goods. I somewhat disagree with Jeff Bezos' politics, but if that outfit can get my stuff to me or to my buyers on time and intact, UPS won't ever see another dime from me.

N6UH and KD2ACO like this.