ad: QSLWorks-1

Get back on Ten Meters de Gary K8JCR

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K8JCR, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0IS

KE0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure I will start giving 28.400 a shout every time I fire up the rig. Hope to see you there!

2. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe we should start a Dead Bands Net. I worked MA and Aruba on 10M during the CQ RTTY contest in September. Also, about a dozen contacts on 15M including Argentina and Uruguay. I suspect that ops do not try the bands they know are dead, or listen for a short time and hearing nothing, go somewhere else.

KE5ES likes this.
  3. KE0IS

KE0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

On the air now Gary 28.400

4. KC3MIO

On the road now, but no radio. I wish I had one, here on Jekyll Island, Ga so I could listen.

5. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember working Japan on 10 meters from my mobile using one those President Radios running 25 watts to a CB mag mount on the trunk lid. I used the same mag mount stuck on my fence to work a 10-10 contest a few months ago, the band was wide open and I think I could have loaded a coat hanger and worked all over the place. Same can be said for 6 meters, when that band is open you can work the world on flea power and a mattress spring. The other evening I noticed that the CB channels were packed, zip on 10 meters no one was there. Great band really miss the openings.

6. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I listen for beacons on 10M between .200 and .300 for indications of E layer propagation. If I hear activity, I move up the band to .400+-. If things get real hot, I move to 6 meters and do the same. I also post on DXMaps so others can see where the propagation is.

WQ4G likes this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

A dog like that can't BITE you... But, he can sure pinch you pretty hard.

A Chihuahua Pinscher...

He sure is cute though. I have three of them.

Dan WQ4G

8. W6TR

W6TR Ham Member QRZ Page

All dog cuteness aside, has anyone made a contact ( or heard anything) on ten meters in the past several months? Not trying to be snarky but all the bands seem to be at the lowest I've ever seen since the early seventies.

9. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've found 10 meters open often. I've made three SSB contacts on 10 in November, DE, WA, and CA from AL. I don't have a very good antenna, just a dipole at 20 feet. I've spotted many low power beacons on 10 as indicators of sporadic E propagation. As soon as the propagation moves up to 6 meters, I move up.

10. KC3MIO

I contacted MA and Aruba on 10M during the RTTY contest in September with 100 W. 15M has been much more active. QSOs with HI, CO, CA, MT and Aruba during ARRL SS with 5 watts on SSB.

In general, propagation seems to be improving. 15M and 17M are frequently open here in NE PA to Europe and sometimes South Africa. I just wish more CW ops were active.

11. NH6RF

NH6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been calling CQ on 10 and 12 meters using FT8 for a couple weeks now at various times, but always when the sun was up. Also made SSB calls on 28.400mhz. FT8 got replies. SSB nothing so far. PSK Reporter is what I use to determine if there is any propagation from my QTH. It's been pretty reliable in that regard. 73's de Bill/NH6RF.

12. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

POOR BAND CONDX.jpg

NH6RF likes this.
  13. KN4VHF

KN4VHF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good idea, I just have a good QSO with N8EHP for about 10 minutes on 28.307 MHz at 20:30 UTC. Lots of QSV but, we made it!
    I always try 10 meters even if the propagation reports are bad
    73 from KN4VHF

14. W3GJR

W3GJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this meet up still going on?

W4GJR

15. WD9G

WD9G Ham Member QRZ Page