ad: Alphaant-1

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm an old fart as well, older than the two previous who allege to be old farts. Thus far, I'm OK with online transactions, but I have internet service. I suspect there may be those out there with no internet service, and the proposed change would place those folks at a disadvantage.

K4AGO, WQ4G, K4XJ and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like there are already some low-cost services who will file your license for you for a modest fee. Isn't QRZ one of those? W5YI?

N4GST, KD4IEM, K4AGO and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that is the point and the cost of renewing those few licenses would likely not even amount to a rounding error in the FCC budget.

AA4MB likes this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I happen to know of a few elderly men both hams and non-hams who don't have computers and internet. I know of a couple of men in their 40s who don't have computers and internet also. You can go use a computer at a library I suppose, but you still have to have computer skills if the FCC has its way. And you have to have an email address. Expecting a non-technical 90 year old man with no computer ability to do all this is a lot.

Does it strike anyone as ironic that a way of communication, namely ham radio, which is touted as being there when all else fails, will have to rely on the internet to get licensed? I can already hear non-hams asking, "If you have to use the internet to get a license, why are you even bothering with radio at all?"

5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Tim,

I seriously doubt there is any amateur radio license holder that has absolutely no access to the Internet. The two pretty much go together.

For the truly isolated ham, s/he has to come into town sometime to do laundry, shower and buy food/supplies. During that time in town, a quick trip to a library, coffee shop or community center will give the internet access needed to do the dirty deed.

[Alleged Old Fart] Regards,
    -Bruce

G3SEA likes this.
  6. K3AK

K3AK Guest

I am not a postal worker and never have been. I have read all the articles about the dieing postal service. This is just another nail in the coffin of the Post Office. I often read that it just takes one small crack in the dike to lead to a total failure. Keep it up you computer freaks and there will be a large segment of our society that will not be able to do anything because the computers have taken over.

KF4HAY, K0PV/SK2023, WQ4G and 2 others like this.
  7. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Might be just the self regulated CB License.

K4XJ likes this.
  8. KD0QG

Everyone wants to "Go Green"?? I still get the paper bills when i can. If the computer goes down or someone hacks your e-mail account , i still have the paper? Too old fashioned to change much now

N8VIL, K1OIK, K4XJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. N1PWS

N1PWS Ham Member QRZ Page

They (the FCC) want to reduce their payroll expense......

N4GST likes this.
  10. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Who says there won't be any more paper licenses? The way I read the caption, it just says that paper licenses won't be delivered using surface mail anymore. They'll use drones.

11. N9FPR

N9FPR Ham Member QRZ Page

Next action: just go to the nearest grocery store and get your license in a cereal box:

VK6APZ/SK2022, K1OIK, KD0QG and 5 others like this.
  12. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you have never had mail stolen from your mailbox or had mail addressed to you mis-delivered and never find its way to you? You are a lucky individual. :)

Regards,
    -Bruce

N4GST and KD8DWO like this.
  13. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

The US Postal Service handled 56.7 billion pieces of First Class mail in 2018.

The trend is downward (it was 58.7 billion the year before), but if EVERY SINGLE ham in the U.S. received mailing in 2018, and that was eliminated, the rseulting decrease would be 0.0014515%

Our effect is negligible.

K2NCC, KD0QG, WA3TVH and 2 others like this.
  14. KD0QG

One way or the other i want to get it. there is possible danger both ways.

K4XJ likes this.
  15. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that some of the 'old farts' have never hand-coded HTML, otherwise, they would understand that the "/" (slash) is a NOT logical operator.

as in:

<comment> ; turn a comment area on

Put comments in here.

</comment> ; turn a comment area off

AA4MB and KI5AIU like this.