ad: wmr-1

Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source SDR Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the latest. Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source project. Yeah, they're breaking the rules.

DL6BCX, WB7SKK, KW4BY and 4 others like this.
  2. W6OM

W6OM Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to do your home work. The rights to this device have been purchased my Ailunce, improved and updated and for sale around the world.......

Ron W6OM

N0GB, W4KVW, K7UQ/SK2022 and 5 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    K7UQ/SK2022 and NU4R like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are we being directed to a ripoff-of others'-technology site?

If Chris has LICENSED to AILUNCE, we should not be looking at a ripoff (that is NOT Ailunce)...

We would not even KNOW about the ripoff if it wasn't made 'amateur podcast' featured.

If we are to respect the spirit of innovation in ham radio, we need to respect the inventors and their efforts to bring it to us. It's hard to make, and all too easy to steal. If you want people to CONTINUE 'to make', then don't buy stolen goods (i.e. IP stolen).

KN4PHS, KY5U, N4GKS and 13 others like this.
  5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those that do not know, IP does not mean IP address, It Means "Intellectual Property". Part of the Issue the administration is concerned with China

K9ASE, DL6BCX, N9NY and 9 others like this.
  6. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

<snicker> "Chinese" IP

73 all and have a great weekend!

KF4ZKU, N6MEJ, N4GST and 1 other person like this.
  8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

The software is open source of I'm understanding correctly that it's this. https://github.com/m0nka/mchf_dsp Licensed as GPL so they need to contribute back any changes they make but anyone is entitled to use it.

I don't know about the hardware.

9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

OP-IP

Other People's Intellectual Property........

KF4ZKU, AA8GK, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

M0MKA sez not open source hardware 'commercially'. IOW if you want to buy it, he has licensed to Ailunce (apparently) and that is the rig one should buy.

M0FEU likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

M0FEU, N0TZU, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No; they are breaking (US) LAW.

PLEASE do not review products brought into the US illegally (no FCC cert), if you are a US Part 97 licensee.

This product transmits out of the ham bands. That means, under that condition alone, it should not be brought into the US.

Why do you think that ICOM, YAESU, and JVC have to wait so LONG for THEIR products to come to the US?

Because they play by the rule of LAW.

AK5B, N0TZU, N6MEJ and 2 others like this.
  13. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Any HW transmitter apperattus can transmit out of band. The firmware is opened sourced. So don't download the open sourced firmware that allows for it to become such an evil 11 meter radio or pirate shortwave station or outlaw marine radio ect......
    Jeeze Louis better send my icom 7300 back to Japan so that they can replace that microdot diode that was removed to allow operation on five megahertz too.
    Man I what about all that old surplus ww2 gear and all the he old Collins ham and commercial gear?
    Hams should continue to be allowed to run what you brung... Freakin 11 meters is who we can thank for such nonsense. They don't even want h gear. They make purpose built export 11 meter rigs these days with hundreds of channels all mode with 400watt carrier output. Look on YouTube of all the big 10kW mono band ampbuilders using broadcast transmitter tubes . I doubt FCC has type accepted these things and know doubt about it good buddy built Godzilla model is for ham radio usefulness?

N7UJU, KF4ZKU, K6YF and 3 others like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Illegal activity should never be part of the amateur radio service; consider yourself so reminded.

Again, the manual determines the legality as 'manufacturers specifications'.

Whether -- you-- unlock ANY transceiver is not the fault o the manufacturer or FCC cert. It wasn't sold to you with that wideband capability at the time of sale.

In this case, the (US illegal) specification is evident at the time of sale.

For you,your IC 7300 meets FCC cert on excluding out of (ham) band transmissions --unless YOU unlock it.

Its bizarre, IMO, to insinuate someone is being picky for pointing out what we all should already know and abide by.

Chip W1YW

AK5B, WQ4G, KA2FIR and 2 others like this.
  15. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Comprehensive video by Dave Casler regarding OOB capable radios. Don't know if this information has since been superseded but it is educational none the less.