ad: elecraft

Ham's in the News: Ham Radio in Disaster Preparedness...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD4IEM, Dec 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    ARABE, AC7DD, KM6SIK and 5 others like this.
  2. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Glenn, we need more of this type of press..

KK4NSF, CL7JKB and WU8Y like this.
  3. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice positive news segment. The camera operator really made that small space very interesting. Although putting a first generation XM radio behind the news anchors head shows how far some people need to be educated.

CL7JKB and WU8Y like this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anybody remember when this wasn't so much as "a hobby" as it was the amateur radio service? Put whatever kind of spin on the likes of stories like this you like this boys and girls. Truth be told, the state of emergency preparedness and volunteer-ism no longer paints a pretty picture for ham radio. Than, there's this ruse of the content of the parity act and how hams in HOA's can't be prepared to do "what hams do" in an emergency because they can't or won't cooperate with their respective HOA board. My experience as a once ARES EC and an EC in Florida KNOWS the state of this topic and the present willingness for hams to leave the comfort and security of their homes to man shelters and the like in times of crisis.

In the end, nice shack Glenn Morrison but, lets get to the core of emergency preparedness and what it REALLY takes to take part in a crisis as a licensed amateur radio operator. If we're not TRAINED AND COORDINATED...WE ARE INDEED SIMPLY HOBBYISTS simply blowing our horns and playing that OLD SONG of what ham radio once meant to our respective communities!

CL7JKB, AF9US and HK3RLG like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The plural of "Ham" is "Hams".

"Ham's" is the possessive.

CL7JKB, AF9US, WN1MB and 4 others like this.
  6. KD4IEM

Thanks Mom! That's what I used to tell her when she corrected my poor English. :D

HK3RLG, WW5RM and N2EY like this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, sarcasm is always better than education. Right?

AF9US and WN1MB like this.
  8. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good points when discussing formal disaster response activities. Still, many hams are not in the condition to be manning shelters but are always willing to serve as the final leg of a communication between people in disaster stricken areas and their friends and family in other parts of the country and world. The recent PR hurricane was a good example of that. As far as volunteerism goes, that problem is not limited to ham radio operators, that's society in general.

K6DY and HK3RLG like this.
  9. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

He was making FT8 contacts during the interview. I do the same when the wife is talking to me. lol

KX4O, CL7JKB, AC7DD and 2 others like this.
  10. VA3GET

VA3GET Ham Member QRZ Page

i
    i noticed

11. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

WU8Y likes this.
  12. KD4IEM

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Removed so as to prevent unnecessary snowflake offense or insult.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    K7JEM likes this.
  14. KD4IEM

Is it? Then don't bother reading it.

15. KD4IEM

And Jeffery...if your going to nag somebody about punctuation use, you might want to make a big edit of YOUR QRZ.com page. Its full of errors. There should be spaces on either side of a hyphen, and you seriously lack the use of any proper punctuation such as colons instead of hyphens and periods at the end of a sentence. My sentence structure on my QRZ page is far better than yours.