ad: M2Ant-1

Amateur Radio Operator BSA uniform patch discontinued

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AK2M, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

There have been female leaders in the BSA for over 30 years, over 80 years for the Cub Scouts. The vast majority of volunteer leaders for both genders was supportive of this change.

IMHO, the GSUSA statement was, quite frankly, lacking in character for an organization that has been at the heart of feminism and leadership for women for over 100 years. That statement has probably driven more families to sign their daughters up for Cubs and Scouts BSA than any other deficiencies in the GSUSA program ever could have. If they had simply stated "We are the premier leadership program for girls and young women in the United States, and we do not support the BSA's inclusion of female members", I would have respected them a lot more than reaching into the gutter and attempting to smear the entire organization.

2. KT4RK

KT4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I am concerned, I was hesitant to let my boys join the BSA until I found out that they had abandoned many of the outdated restrictions on who qualifies for membership. Now both of my boys are in BSA and are enjoying the program, even with the acceptance of people many commenters here obviously think should be excluded. Now, if they would just get rid of the religious requirement for leaders, I would actually answer their constant call for parents to help lead the group.

WA1ZCN and KQ9J like this.
  3. WA7WJR

WA7WJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I won’t be a contrarian, but I will say if I had met you or K4KWH prior to getting my ticket I probably would have reconsidered.

I originally got licensed in prep for my sailing plans to distant places in order to work Pacific cruising nets. But, I dove in head first, taught myself CW, built some wire antennas, built a K2/100 and some other kits, work QRP and have been on 5 vacation dxpeditions to 4 different locations in Vietnam so far. I am still learning, but I and others I’ve met are far removed from the “lazy, self indulgent society” to which you refer.

People today tend to do a lot of research prior to engaging in an activity, especially one that requires a significant investment in time and money. That includes reading public forums to get a sense of the group they may be associating themselves with. Attitudes such as yours and the “no code cry babies” only serve to dissuade people from having any interest in HAM radio.

And let’s face reality...your post adds no value to the specific topic, but only provides a platform to vent. I personally would prefer to see replies that add value to a discussion and directly address the OP.

Now, I am done venting. No bitter rebuttals necessary. Thank you.

WJ4U likes this.
  4. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, do you have stories or blog posts written about some of these? I wold love to hear some good tales. Feel free to send me a direct message if you like.

Returning to our regularly scheduled topic, already in progress...

5. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

There's always work to be done on unit committees. One doesn't have to be a uniformed leader to help out.

6. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most Boys and Girls who are NORMAL (whatever that means in today's world) appreciated the difference in the SEXES, DON'T YOU? :) I KNOW I DO, as I've been married to the same BEAUTIFUL YL FOR 40+ YEARS NOW !!!

7. NW9F

NW9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still fight from within and I do believe my mission is to help our youth become better leaders and better citizens regardless of their gender, but IMO Boy Scouts has become more about political correctness and less about the program.

AC0OB, W4HM, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
  8. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a Scout in the late 60's. I never saw that strip.

It was my history teacher/ham Brian Garland at Edison HS, Huntington Beach, he had a Station in his classroom. [​IMG]
    41 years later, the tower and beam can be seen past the light pole.

9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yada, yada, I had great respect for the Scouts until they started letting females in...I believe in equal rights and such, but come on, this is the BOY scouts, join the GIRL scouts. Now we have females on High School football teams. Everything is going down the toilet.

KI7HSB, KE5ES, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  10. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand the need for "Child Care Provider Badge" and "Everyone's a Winner Badge" but I think I will pass on the BOY Scouts of America due to their agenda and direction that they are heading. Sorry kids. When grown up agendas take over an organization it is time to find a better and more deserving organization.

WN1MB likes this.
  11. AC1DV

AC1DV Ham Member QRZ Page

The Boy Scouts of America continues to go down hill. A shame because it once was a GREAT organization.

K3XR likes this.
  12. NA3P

NA3P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly correct...The Radio Merit Badge did not get phased out. See: https://meritbadge.org/wiki/images/1/10/Radio.pdf

13. NA3P

NA3P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

14. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Because, believe it or not, there was once a time when people understood that our children were either a boy or a girl.

K3XR and KA0HCP like this.
  15. K0MDA

K0MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a former scout and am terribly saddened by what national organization has become. I continue to find reasons to keep my son from joining and teach him skills he needs to succeed based on Baden Powell's original form of the Scouts. This is yet another reason why he will not be part of this version.

K3XR likes this.