ad: elecraft

Everything you know about dipole (calculators) is wrong ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 4 wires w/ X-shaped spreaders (24" x 24"), as an inverted vee. The free design program on smeter.net (http://www.smeter.net/antennas/wire-cage-dipole.php) sez 2:1 VSWR bandwidth is 318 kHz but, my measured BW is 500 kHz. I later reconfigured it to also function as a vertical w/ top-hat on 160m.

Most of the parts came from Davis RF, DX Engineering, and the local box store. I can't imagine ever BUYING an antenna as simple as a dipole.

Bryan WA7PRC
    Photos + info: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-80m-160m

W1TRY and WN1MB like this.
  2. WA7PRC

One day, I came home from work to find the front of my '69 Barracuda dangling from a bumper jack, and the RF wheel/tire missing. The lug nuts on the left side were piśś tight.

3. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how my mother was able to give birth to me 73 and some years ago with out a computer ? Whow ?. Well blow me down, I'll be darned

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Toilet flanges... clever!

Hope it don't mean my signal is in the crapper.

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. NA3P

NA3P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

468/frequency (in MHz) = Length of dipole in feet. Each half of the dipole would be half this length. Add or subtract as needed for each antenna. For example, my favorite net on 7.153 MHz, use 468/7.153 = 65.43 feet or 65 feet 5 inches. Each half of the dipole would be 65.43/2 = 32.715 ft or 32 feet 8 1/2 inches. It's a total no-brainer that has worked for me since I put up my first dipole in 1972.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    K4XJ likes this.
  6. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: " sez 2:1 VSWR bandwidth is 318 kHz but, my measured BW is 500 kHz. "

Soil composition?

7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

ALL he has to do to really make it efficient is ... reduce the ground loss!

Do you know how much of the E-field ends up in the 'earf' from a horz dipole?

8. WA7PRC

I stated the design program is for a dipole (with no input for the soil under it or how high AGL). I also stated I'm using the antenna as an inverted vee. The good news, instead of having to trim it to fit ≈ 100 kHz BW (for a single wire) to the band segment where I want it, the thing is so broad that it mostly doesn't matter:
    [​IMG]
    I constructed it a few feet long, and the low VSWR point is low. But, since I spend most of my time below about 3900 kHz, I left it alone. :)

The soil is "glacial till" (lotsa rocks). :p

W7UUU likes this.
  9. K6UMA

K6UMA Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why didn't they make the title "Now, for the next can of worms"!

11. WA7VGN

WA7VGN Ham Member QRZ Page

A length of isolated house wire has a velocity factor similar to coax.
    i keep making antennas out of it though.. one ham says if you need an antenna
    a little shorter because you don't have the room this is the ticket, but bottom line
    whatever formula you use it will be too long.
    those out there that use bare antenna wire do not have this problem.
    Try .85 for a velocity factor for plastic insulated wire and see if it tunes right.
    Rich

12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2018-10-17_6-52-23.png

13. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh, humor I guess?

14. WA7VGN

WA7VGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes he opened a can of worms on this one,,
    a whole lot of things can screw with an antenna, roof flashing, metal roof jacks etc etc..
    plus if your using plastic coated wire it will be shorter.
    If anyone thinks im full of BS try it, make an antenna by the formula out of plastic coated house wire
    and see.. then do the same with bare wire.. or better yet strip the house wire and put it back up
    exactly the same place and see what its center frequency is.
    Rich

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  15. WB4OZM

WB4OZM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The "newer generation" wasn't taught the skill sets that the older gen did.. I'm guessing that computer skills or interacting with social media wasn't taught then either and where not the norm in the 50's or earlier either.. Just a different set of skill sets.. Rock on new comers!