ad: Radclub22-1

HR2.0 Episode 140: 2018 Dayton Hamvention Follow-Up

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jun 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I haven't followed all the threads, but is there an attendance total yet?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. KQ4KK

KQ4KK Ham Member QRZ Page

Opening on Thursday thru Saturday. The school issue might be the hard part. But, might be doable. Yes, other activity is going on. Like Contest University. It could be moved, or it could just be on Thursday, and Hamvention is still open, to other than the 300. For a few years, there has been a Friday morning DSTAR "university" going on at the Drury INN. Other major, national convention shows start on Thursday and end on Saturday. Some Hams even come to Dayton and go the USAF Museum on Friday.

I think the major disruption would be with some vendors. The big ones could handle it. But a few might have a hard time breaking away from their "other" businesses.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Which ones?

4. KQ4KK

KQ4KK Ham Member QRZ Page

NAB, CES, AFCEA, INFOCOMM, SEMA, SHOT. Tho all don't start on Thursday, but run during the week.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Kent,

None of these are ham oriented. These are not ham conventions, and they use major venues, charging hundreds of dollars registration. We thought you meant Hamcation, Huntsville, Pacificon, Visalia, etc.

Do you want Hamvention to pay the town $500,000(for example) to run on Thursday--and charge $200 registration? Big venues charge tribute for the cities that host them. I would bet that charge is zero for Hamvention, or very low.

Its a FAIRGROUNDS. Its a RURAL TOWN.

Enjoy the CHARM and the time you spend at HAMVENTION. Three days are very FB.

Xenia is doing hams a FAVOR fer crissake. Don't be so ungrateful. They COULD have limited Hamvention to Saturday and Sunday...

The admissions cost to Hamvention is the biggest bargain in ham radio. BECAUSE THE PRICE IS LOW it is pluralism at its best, and people that would FLY to the conventions you mention, actually DRIVE to Hamvention for the most part. That's why you get 25000+ hams and not 4500 hams. Hamvention breaks early Sunday afternoon in recognition that lotsa people are driving home, with 5-15 hour drive times.

ACFEA? Gimme a break. How many hams do you think even KNOW what that is?

What next: AOC?

:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It rains; we survive; we enjoy:)

Maybe you should run a boot concession next year;-)

I brought a mud brush. No prob.

No cow pies or horse nuggets or doggy doodads. Cleaner than my backyard. Be grateful:)

Given the demographic of the attendees, Hamvention is really ideal at Xenia.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    K2HAT likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just about everyone goes to the Museum, part of one of those days. It is a destination in itself. Its one of the reasons people come to Hamvention.

8. WA0OFO

WA0OFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

a map with the comercial vendors....smaller ones would be nice....it took me a LONG time to find the entrance to the flea market.

9. WB5THT

WB5THT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

On my bucket list was attending a Hamvention which for the first time I did last year. Never again. Too crowded and the facilities and venue were completely inadequate. I have traveled the world and make accommodations for where I'm visiting but I'll never be back there again. I sincerely appreciate the hard work of the volunteers, you are to be commended.

10. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So I guess people selling things in the flea market... isn't a flea market?
    You are talking in circles. It isn't tenable, but it happens, but it can't happen, even though it does. The cycle continues.
    I did accept the fact that they don't want to open on a Thursday. It is in the video. The reasons you have don't make any sense, but they did give good reasons why this might cause more problems than it could help. The idea of opening on Thursday instead of Sunday wasn't to keep people from leaving early, it was to allow the vendors time to travel home before the next week starts. Once again, something I mentioned in the video. It seems obvious you didn't watch it, or didn't listen - which is fine, but no need to go off in tangents with issues that are meaningless.

KD5BVX likes this.
  11. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I was selling on Thursday for a while.

You want to see an Earlier opening Hamfest, as a Seller, go to Shelby. 7 days. Several folks do this that own RV's.

2018 Shelby Hamfest Flea Market
    Flea Market Information
    Check back for additional and/or changed information
    (we are still in the planning changes, information may change as we approach the hamfest)

In an effort to simplify the “Land Rush” procedure for obtaining Flea Market spaces on a first come basis, we will lock the gates to the fair grounds Sunday August 26, 2018 and will open the back gate as soon as spaces are flagged and ready. Please enter the back parking lot off Kemper Road and park there. The gates will be opened for short periods of time to keep the traffic flow at a safe level. You should BRING YOUR ADMISSION TICKET or be prepared to purchase a ticket in order to obtain flea market spaces (maximum of 5 spaces per person). Flea Market spaces are $15.00 each. After you have chosen and paid for your spaces, you will be ready to return home. We hope that you will find this procedure “user friendly”.

You do not have to get your space on Aug. 26th 2018, there will still be good spaces available all the next week and on Saturday morning September 1st - someone will be on site (normal daylight hours the week before the hamfest – we can not provide 24/7 drive up service) to help you.
    http://www.shelbyhamfest.com/flea-market.html

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No. And an exhibit hall where sellers sell to sellers before the show aint an exhibit hall either. If you emphasize that, you dilute any motivation for paying ANY registration fee. Why should people pay to come to Hamvention to support a show-before-the show?

Flea sellers come on Thursday to beat the traffic and get a cheap stake on where to place their pillow that night. Sure, some flea people BUY others' junk, but that's not why they rented the space.

Who cares? No Hamvention on Thursday. Bad idea.

If Hamvention opened on Thursday more than most people would still wait until Friday. Most people can't take off two work days for a ham event. And folks who are retired ain't coming with daddy warbucks of cash either.

Hamvention is not a local flea market . It is a national event.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Commercial dealers/sellers aren't allowed to sell before the show, so bad example. This isn't true with the flea market.

Actually it was a good idea that lots of people seemed to like, but it isn't going to happen, so you are beating a dead horse by repeating yourself over and over.

Exactly. That was my whole point. Vendors from all over the nation, or who travel internationally, would have Sunday to travel home if the show ended Saturday evening.

This conversation has become stale, so I won't be replying any more. It doesn't seem like you are listening to what I am saying anyway. Thursday Hamvention was an idea I had, an idea that the admin staff asked for, but they presented good reasons why they don't want to do it. I pretty much left it there, so it isn't really a conversation worth having over and over again, for reasons that make no sense or reasons that weren't discussed the first time anyway.

KD5BVX likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey...you were the one who sought dialogue.

Yawn.

I couldn't care.

Have a nice morning.

15. W9NR

W9NR Ham Member QRZ Page

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

KA2DEW and KC5HWB like this.