ad: elecraft

KB4OEI

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by MARLBOROBARBIE, Jan 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. MARLBOROBARBIE

MARLBOROBARBIE QRZ Member

My name is DeAnn, I'm Larry "Mr. Pecker" Hofer's daughter. I know this is kind of late to be posting a Silent Key tribute, but I'm still having a bit of a hard time dealing with the loss of my daddy (he'll be gone 4 years in March). I'm not sure if any of y'all knew him or talked to him, but he was an amazing man. Many HAMs around the world bought his 3898 Pecker and I see with a quick forum search many of you on QRZ did, too.

The reason I'm posting about him, and the reason I started the QRZ account, was to see if any of y'all might have been on the 3898 Weenie Net with him. I know someone recorded cassette tapes of the conversations, but I don't know if there are any left. As a little kid I'd sneak in the hallway at night and listen to the guys' conversations and even got to talk a bit on the air sitting in dad's lap. I fondly remember him checking in with "OEI OEI OEI", and I say it often, even though no one has a clue what I'm saying. haha

Would any of y'all know where I could get some of these tapes he's on or have stories I can keep for a keepsake book? I'm kind of a sucker for memorabilia, especially when it comes to him, and I'd love to hear anything y'all have to give.

DeAnn

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

I found this, but sadly the gent said he lost the recordings. :(

https://forums.radioreference.com/h...ne-have-any-good-stories-tell-about-hf-3.html

10-13-2007, 2:20 AM
    Billk9kz [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k9rzz
    I like that bit about having SWL call ins ... would like to hear a recoring of that.
    It was great and something was going on nearly every night on 3.898. I had some great recordings but lost them when I moved. I can't believe it's over and several of the guys are silent keys : (

Bill

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DeAnn,... I can only offer my condolences also. Hopefully someone here will come up with some audio for you.
    I never had the pleasure of meeting "Mr. Pecker" on-the-air in over 57 years as a ham.

I've always heard that "A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words", & after looking-up your dad's QRZ Biography I've concluded that, that phrase is not correct.

The picture of your dad and his "Best Friend" cannot be described with mere "words".

Rejoice in the time that you got to spend with him & preserve your "Photographs & Memories" (Jim Croce)

This photograph brings tears to this 71 year-old man's eyes... & I feel your loss.

[​IMG]

OEI OEI OEI - RIP

73 - Steve / W5BIB

K8MCN likes this.