ad: Schulman-1

Parks on the Air - 'Winter Event' Jan. 20-21, 2018

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W5KV, Jan 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings Amateur Radio Operators!

Announcing the second event of its kind for the Parks on the Air program.....

Support Your Parks Weekend! (01/20/2018-01/21/2018)

The POTA crew have decided to hold their second event this January. Support Your Parks Weekend is an event designed to encourage 'Outdoor Ham Radio & Nature Conservancy!' Operating outdoors can be fun, challenging, and certainly stress relieving! So please join in on the fun!

What is Parks on the Air? Similar to the National Parks on the Air program held in 2016, any licensed amateur radio operator can participate, whether activating a park or chasing the activators! Simply put, 'Activators' activate the parks, and 'Hunters or Chasers' chase those who are activating! It can be quite exciting and addicting!

For more information on the POTA program or to find a map of available parks to activate, please visit: https://parksontheair.com . Have a question about the program? Hop over to the POTA Facebook group at : https://www.facebook.com/groups/parksontheair/ . Or post your question here & i'll be happy to answer!

[​IMG]
    K5ACL

2. W5KV

Good luck to all the Parks on the Air operators this upcoming weekend! Stay warm, stay safe & most of all have fun!

3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

POTA has been on the outer fringe of my radar for some time. Originally it was an unorganized disaster that never really accomplished anything. Then a totally new management team negotiated a "merger?" with the WWFF program? It seems that partnership was recently dissolved, and the stand alone POTA program has yet to be built? With no indication how long that might take? How can a program that doesn't work yet be fun?

Since you indicated you would answer questions, what am I missing?

4. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

AB3TQ - The POTA program is just fine. There is nothing preventing you from activating/hunting now, just save the logs. The QSO database is still being tested, so please be patient and we will let you know when it's ready so you can register. In the meantime, like I said in the other thread, all you have to do is send me an email with the log/info for the new year, or support your parks events. If you have any further questions of issues, please send me an email at W3AAX@outlook.com.

5. W5KV

Apologies for the late reply AB3TQ - it looks like this past weekend was a successful (& busy one!) - though I had to dip out due to the local weather condx - bummer! Still was nice to see so many stations on the air around the country. The program is very much alive as Jason mentioned, and i've found the group of POTA & WWFF operators to be some of the very best! I feel fortunate to have found this group - i've learned so much from some of the hams in the program, like N9MM, N6MMA, W5MIG, W8TAM, KB1HQS, and many more!

It's true the two programs recently split - which was a bit confusing for some folks - basically Parks on the Air will be a domestic type program and the WWFF will continue to be a worldwide program as I understand it, so only downside is having to submit logs to two different sources for uploading - a small price to pay for all the folks that take their time to work me (155 SSB on the last activation in a few hours!). I didn't get involved much in the politics - just stayed focused on doing what mattered most - operating in the Great Outdoors!

I hope to make contact with you one day from a park - or if you get the chance maybe you can catch me at one!

k5acl