ad: elecraft

Studying for Tech licence

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AE0NJ, Oct 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AE0NJ

AE0NJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Am using the ARRL license manual to study for Tech test in a little over a mouth. Also using the QRZ site which is very helpful. Any suggestions on what else I should be doing to prepare? Am making progress, and am very excited to get back into the hobby. Was a General class back in early 80s so I am not a stranger to Ham radio.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2017
    W9FTV and KG5THG like this.
  2. K7EEX

K7EEX Ham Member QRZ Page

For Tech and General I used the combination of the ARRL license books and hamstudy.org. The books taught me the theory and gave context to the test material. The website let me practice the questions. This is the same method that I'm currently doing to prep for the Extra exam (with the addition of having read the ARRL antenna book).

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KC0BBT

KC0BBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here, on the home page, you can find practice exams under the Resource tab.

4. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Gordon west Tech license study book would be my suggestion. Worked great for all my relatives. Your ARRL one, they ditched. Take care.

WB9AZA likes this.
  5. W5IDX

W5IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Your doing great

KG5THG likes this.
  6. N9RS

N9RS Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you aware that passing the Technician exam will allow you to be granted a General license since you previously held that license class in the past? All you have to do is provide proof you previously held the General license which can be as easy as searching the internet for a copy of the Ham Radio Callbook which lists your name and old call sign and providing a copy of that page out of the callbook when you take the Technician exam.

Expired General or Advanced ham license
    There is a recent rule change that will help you. The FCC now gives partial credit for expired General, Advanced, and Amateur Extra class licenses. An expired General or Advanced ham license will give you credit only for the General class exam (element 3).

You can receive a General class license by attending a VE session and doing both of the following:

1. Pass the current Technician exam (element 2), and
    2. Present proof to the VEs that you once held a General or Advanced class license. How to get proof.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    KK5JY likes this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

In addition to taking practice tests, I also benefited greatly by using flashcards of the questions. You can print them on actual paper cards if you want, or you can use software to do flashcards on the computer. But the flashcard approach makes sure you have seen all of the question pool, whereas the practice tests are just random questions, and you may or may not ever get to all of the questions.

I used this for the FCC commercial exams, and it got me through five test elements in less than two weeks.

The flashcard approach also helps build confidence, since you know that you have seen all of the test questions, and there aren't any surprises on the actual test.

8. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW I'm studying for my General right now - Michael Burnette's "Fast Track" audio book has been great so far! It gives you enough background with each question to understand why the answer is what it is. There is a Technician level audio book too.

Of course, passing the test is one thing... now I need to actually learn how all of this stuff works.

9. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

K2HAT likes this.