ad: elecraft

My interview with 12 year old extra Faith Hannah AE4FH at HamCation 2017

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4CPR, Feb 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0MDY

KE0MDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Great work ethic and philosophy! I just passed my Technician earlier this month (got my call today), my son has asked to get his license before the end of the year - he's 7. I plan to keep going as long as he's interested!

WX4TV likes this.
  2. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they call that hard work and dedication James.

WX4TV likes this.
  3. KB3H

KB3H Ham Member QRZ Page

Technical curiosity + Perseverance = Success
    Faith is an asset to the amateur community

4. AF7DK

AF7DK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job! We need more like her too.
    I really hope others follow her ethic and learn the material to get the extra class or whatever level they feel like attaining.
    I hear a lot of other others say they use the books that get you to memorize the exam questions and don't necessarily understand the content, which is cheating not only the exam, but more importantly yourself!

5. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Cameron for your kind comment. To sit down and talk with Faith Hannah one on one is special and you can see her love for the hobby and she listen to your every word and she retains everything like a sponge. Tell others about her in your area of the great north west we need more like her.

6. YB4MDL

YB4MDL Ham Member QRZ Page

goot you comincion by YC4MDL from INDONESIA 73 bye bye

7. W2VOA

W2VOA Ham Member QRZ Page

She's so smart, and lots of fun !!! Can't wait to meet you on 40 meters one day and ask you more questions maybe you can convince my boys to get a license 73

8. NA4RA

NA4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for taking the time in making this Excellent video. Very impressive and bright young lady!
    With young people like Faith, HAM radio future is bright.
    Hopefully one day we will have a QSO with Faith on the air. 73.

9. K2JVI

K2JVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done Faith, its good to see young, smart kids like yourself join the ham radio hobby. I've been a ham since I was a senior in high school in 1979. Hope you make many enjoyable qso's( I hope to be one of them) . And kudos to your parents as well for their encouragement and support, as a parent myself, that is so important. And Chip I agree with your comment "If you don't tell them its difficult, they may not see it as difficult". If you take the time to expose your kids to things and let them try and learn, that's the best thing a parent can do. I found what made some of the higher level math easier to understand is when it was applied to solving some of the electrical problems found in ham radio, and being motivated to learn it really helps, as in studying for a ham license.
    Faith-hopefully you will get a chance to build and experiment with various things such as antennas, kits, or even some home brew items, lots of fun and can teach you a surprising amount of skills. That's one of the best things about ham radio, just try it and see what happens!
    Best 73's
    Bob.

10. KN0DE

KN0DE Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope to be an extra soon (March 4th) but wow... I could not have done that at that age (I am having a hard time at the age 13!).

11. YB1MA

YB1MA Ham Member QRZ Page

all the best AE4FH ...

12. W6COP

W6COP Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a short visit with a gifted 10 year old. IT IS WONDERFUL that there are so many bright young ones coming forth. I just got interested at 72 after leaving it alone for 60 years since The Scouts.

13. K2KMM

K2KMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am impressed with Faith and how she raised through all the way to Extra Class in just 3 whole months. I did all my license upgrades with-in 6 months. What HF band does she monitor??? So I can make a contact to talk to her.

73's K2KMM George

14. N3TS

N3TS Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great accomplishment. They have and will learn a lot that many kids never will.

My Dad and his father both were hams, but I went a different route way back then. We were just starting a 10-watt FM broadcast station, WCNE, at my high school, when I was a 14-year old HS freshman, I got a 2nd Class Radiotelephone so I could be the legally required engineer, and I later upgraded to a 1st. I hadn't yet taken high-school algebra, so the math WAS a challenge (and this was the days before calculators, so I did all my calculations, including square roots, by hand). I learned a lot wiring up that little 10-watt station during my years in high school.

I recently got back into ham radio, and although I took a calculator with me for the Extra, I never pulled it out during the exam.

Way to go Faith Hannah and Hope! Best of luck.