ad: Flexradio-1

KL7RA Rich Strand SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by NN1C, Nov 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN1C

NN1C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sorry to report that we la important member of the
    contesting community. Rich Strand, KL7RA, became a silent key today. I don't know too much information, although he has been having heart issues since just before SS CW.

2. RN3OG

RN3OG Ham Member QRZ Page

He was one of the most active Ham Rich KL7RA (Alaska) in this life ... Eternal flight in the air
    R. I. P.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

he was the first AK in my log

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear :( Condolences to all involved.

KL7RA is the callsign that's most seen in my log by FAR. I just worked him on November 8th QRP CW on 40.

He will be missed - one of the biggest voices from Alaska

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have him in the log more than once. He always heard me on the first call.
    He will be missed.

Gary

6. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Condolences to his family & friends.
    Richard is my Alaska LoTW confirmation for both SSB and CW.

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I too will miss logging the booming signal of KL7 "Radio Active".

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A fabulous contest station builder, DX operator with good ears, and all around great guy, featured highly in my logbook too. 73 and RIP de John WØPV

FYI - http://qrznow.com/kl7ra-in-hospital/

9. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just went through my log. 6 contacts with Rich since 2009. I rarely leave comments in my log, but I have 3 comments about wonderful ragchews. I also have 3 QSL cards from him.
    Wonderful contacts. My condolences to family and friends

10. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

11. W1SJ

W1SJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very sad news.
    I found out while reading score postings from the Phone SS that Rich passed the day before. This was quite a shock.

During the contest I received a strange message from W5GN that Rich sent me some traffic. At the time I didn't know what he was talking about. Now I know.

For the last 10-15 years Rich and I would always meet up at the contesting hospitality suites at Dayton. We'd set up shop at a table along with W5GN and a bunch of other contesters and tell tall contesting tales all night. It was one of the highlights of the trip each year. Rich was just a real fun guy to be around and as well all know, was a very accomplished contester. To say he will be missed is a understatement. But he left a legacy of contesters who learned the "trade" from him.
    73 Rich. Keep those pileups going!

12. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Rick KL7RA was a topic at Thanksgiving Dinner yesterday at a gathering of some local "Ham's". We all agreed it sad to see him Silent Key so young.

My Condolences and Sympathy to all who knew him.
    Yes he is in my log, more than once.

13. KL7YY

KL7YY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I first met Rich when I was living in Fairbanks in the early 90's. He offered our radio club, Arctic Amateur Radio Club, a great tour of the NOAA satellite receiving facility just north of Fairbanks. He would also frequently attend our weekly ham lunch at the Bakery Restaurant and always talked about his latest DX. Visited his Fairbanks DX station several times and always wished I participated in one of his contest weekends. In the late 90's he moved out from under the auroral ring above Fairbanks, blocking most HF communications, to a more friendly and quieter HF location of Kenai Alaska where he built a top notch DX facility. Great to have known you Rich. Sure your propagation from above the auroral ring will give you everlasting DX to all parts of the universe. RIP Mr. Rich Strand.

Contributed by: Myron F. Babcock (KL7YY)

14. K4RDU

K4RDU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was very sorry to hear about Rich., KL7RA. I first met Rich in January 1964 at Corry Field near Pensacola florida when we were both in CT school. Talked about ham radio all the time, we both loved it.. flew model airplanes also, great times..Rich gave me Alaska on 160 meters! I'm still thanking you for that buddy! Bob K4RDU

15. PR7CPK

PR7CPK Ham Member QRZ Page

My first QSO with Richard A. Strand, KL7RA, was make on January 12, 1988 in SSB 14 MHz. After that date we make some new QSO's. I was very sorry to know this notice about her passed away. My condolences to his family... So long dear Rich.

Edmilson Rodrigues do Ó, PR7CPK