ad: Schulman-1

The Top 2 Issues EVERY IC-7610 owner needs to check for.

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by VK3BL, Jun 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK3BL

VK3BL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Everyone,

I've put together a video showing the top 2 issues every IC-7610 owner needs to check for before their warranty expires; it is a must view as these issues are quite widespread.

You can find it here (Open it in youtube by clicking the icon in the bottom right for the best quality, description & comments):

I hope it helps,

73, Jarrad VK3BL

2. VK3BL

Just an update since we posted the video. We now know of 4 confirmed cases of LCD 'burn in' (image persistence) in VK, but have yet to hear any reports of it occurring elsewhere. This could be due to the fact VK got the IC-7610 before the rest of the world (excluding Japan), but only time will tell.

KD6EUG likes this.
  3. W1KJL

W1KJL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What serial number ranges are these affected radios in?

W1KJL, Kevin

2E0FMI likes this.
  4. VK3BL

I'll have to get back to you on that one, but despite monitoring all the various Ham radio IC-7610 communities aside from Yahoo Groups, I have not heard of a single LCD issue outside of VK.

And that is truly a relief!

5. VK3BL

W6RZ just posted this on eHam, sadly we can confirm US 7610s are affected:

1) K3HTK, 2/1/2018, No S/N, Top left side washed out

2) N8DC, 2/1/2018, 12001026, Lower left side washed out

3) K6DHL 2/3/2018 12001103 See Spec Scope burn in

4) WB5JJJ, 5/13/2018, 12001105, 1/4 of the screen is fading

5) W5JMW, 5/11/2018, No S/N, Burn in of previous screen

6) N8DC, 5/29/2018, 12002146, Display issue again and this time the right side of the screen is washing out

7) N0JX, 6/1/2018, No S/N, Right side Washed out

8) N8AWW, 6/2/2018, No S/N, Similar problem (washed out)

6. W1KJL

W1KJL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the follow up Jarrad. My serial number is 120018xx which puts mine within the ranges above. So far, no issues with mine, but I guess time will tell... disappointing for a $3400 USD radio :(

7. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I will bet that Icom will do nothing about it. Yes, if you find that the display has a problem before the 1 year warranty goes out you can get it fixed but what do you do after that or it happens again after having the display replaced? Icom should address this issue but they won't.

8. VK3BL

I suggest leaving your radio powered on 24/7 with the screensaver enabled at the lowest setting. That way, if issues are going to show up, they will before your warranty period expires.

As you can see from N8DC's example, he had his second screen go bad within 4 months.

Luckily, LCD screens are not a big ticket item, so hopefully even those who have issues out of warranty will be able to obtain a replacement cheaply. Fitting one yourself should be no issue.

73, Jarrad VK3BL

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless they are a custom part and go obsolete.

KR3DX, PY2RAF, US7IGN and 4 others like this.
  10. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey K

11. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Telling the YL you bought a new radio
    Making the CC Payment.

12. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is a none issue why can't Icom repair it original owners for a few years after the 1 year warranty expires, kinda like a auto recall. As some have posted I think I will leave my Icom on 24/7. I wonder if I can buy the extended warranty. I was in the first batch to get the radio. You would think that the Icom Pro II, and Pro III, and the IC-7600 all the bugs would have been worked out.

N2NH, VK3BL and K9ASE like this.
  13. VK2FR

VK2FR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the LCD burn in appear when Icom logo is shown on the screen or when the radio is switched off?

14. N1DAY

N1DAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Add me to the list - N1DAY.... I just talked to ICOM and they said they are still trying to figure out why the burn in is happening and that it will be likely several months before they have a solid fix for the problem. I was told that it was a problem with their screen supplier and right now they are not sure if it was limited to a specific range of serial numbers or is an issue with all of the 7610's in use.

15. K2II

K2II Ham Member QRZ Page

Has this washout and burn in screen problem shown up with any other Icom transceivers? If so, how as Icom responded to those screen problems?