ad: elecraft

ICOM IC-705: A slightly different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

AA9G, 9H1KR, W5AAG and 39 others like this.
  2. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian, well done- thank you for the insight. Icom has built a formidable QRP rig for remotes. Cant wait for the mobile version.

Earl

N1SCA, NU4R, KK5R and 1 other person like this.
  3. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Julian, I think you are spot on with your analysis. The built in USB interface will eliminate extra connections and make set-up a breeze. With your monster battery you have you could forgo the multiple smaller batteries, more room for other stuff or lighten the load.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

KK5R and K0UO like this.
  4. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

I cant wait for Yaesu to come out with something like this. Then my life will be complete. :D

KA2ING, KJ6NQW, VK6APZ/SK2022 and 6 others like this.
  5. K7PNW

K7PNW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job! This little rig might be the straw that changes my mind about QRP and digital modes.
    Many thanks,
    Jerry, K7PNW
    Yakima, Washington

9H1KR likes this.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Very nice presentation. Has anyone found the price?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing stated for sure but supposedly icom is shooting for less than 100K Yen, which would place it just under $1000 USD.

SA5QED likes this.
  8. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good presentation, and particularly the emphasis on practical operation vs. brand snobbery. It would be great to have an idea of the pricing, so I could decide whether I really want to save up/wait for one, or that it is so far out of my reach I may as well forget it!

9. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

I run my original FT-817 on FT8 daily. Before that it was PSK-31. Can't remember when I got it exactly but it was shortly after they first came out back in the day. Has many thousands of hours on it with only a power connector failure. Might be time to finally upgrade to this Gem! Great video Julian!

K0PIR likes this.
  10. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't there a readable text of the video contents? My sound output feeds into the radio for FT8 and I don't want to mess with any settings lest they refuse to work again.

K3SX, KE4HTS and K2HAT like this.
  11. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love the radio,and video. Very well done,and I agree Icom knocked this one out of the park,as it looks so far.

12. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this rig is great, but as a former owner of an Icom 7300, I wouldn't be buying for anything but portable work. It's going to lack good electrical city noise filtering on 40m, which makes it a non-starter for me in the big city. Portable will be great, though.

13. KA2TMU

KA2TMU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting. I love my yaesu gear but I think Icom’s pass band tuning is easier to use.

14. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It certainly has many features but will the receiver be better then the Elercraft KX3.

KA2FIR and K0PIR like this.
  15. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Julian. Looking forward to another eval if you pick one up.

These are personal perspectives, not statements of fact.

PROs:
    • I'm an Icom 7300 fanboy, so this will be intuitive
    • Spectrum and audio displays with touchscreen is good for those of us with ADHD and panadapters always help to hunt signals. I find myself staring at it the most for AM and RTTY. It can also be used to read CW on a frequency that you are not on as the dits and dahs go by
    • 3 filters + preamp + attenuator + autonotch + NB + NR
    • If your phone can be a bluetooth hotspot for DSTAR, that opens up a lot of options...I'm ignorant in this area
    • 13 bands
    • GPS
    • AM broadcast, FM broadcast, Aircraft band
    • Single USB for digital...groovy

CONs:
    • I always want the option for 100 watts when portable
    • With 13 bands I want an onboard autotuner for HF, although for QRP I'd probably use one of the QRP Guys tuners
    • No clue what it's receive milliamp draw is especially with GPS on
    • 2M & Aircraft but no WX band?
    • No clue how good its ears are
    • No clue what it weighs
    • The 7300 will not be amused

KO4ESA and N5EQY like this.