ad: ProAudio-1

Germany hits back against French 144 MHz Aeronautical plans

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to understand the document but I don't know German :(

2. F4FPR

F4FPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitively not true , some of the french national associations (R-E-F / URC / Dr@F / Amsat F) wrote to the regulator to complain and fight against this situation : https://www.save2m.org/2019/08/french-organizations-issue-a-joint-letter/
    In my own opinion the French Regulator (ANFR) doesn't really care about the ham, they're more interest with commercial (like everywhere on earth).

This is only a personal opinion but I will not be surprised that there is some slippage under all this crap business with Thales (like a little € stamp under the table, no it would be really big and obvious isn't it) ?
    Now that the French associations are able to walk hand in hand, our regulator sticks us our wheels (we only have to watch the french position on the 6m band for the next WRC-19, this stupid idea for the 2m, or even the idea that the 23cm isn't managed in France).
    Happily some European regulators still have feet on the groud.
    Be certain that the position(s) of our regulator does not represent the mindset of French Ham Radio in that particular case.
    And as a personal matter this situation revolts me.
    But sometimes the wind will reverse itself and The truth will come out.

I almost forgot :

I Guess this only mean to the French's commercial positions AKA Thales' one for exemple.
    According to what we've seen recently , i really hope i'm wrong.

We will have to wait and see.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    SP3UQX and KF7PCL like this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A wise and respected local politician once told me she thought that outside of totalitarian regimes successful governance only occurs when the will of a vast majority of those to be governed allows it.

If a deceptively quiet yet well endowed amateur band like 2m is designated as shared with autonomous roaming flying machines (which would probably use some form of ALE / cognitive radio to avoid QRM to each other) I can easily imagine a scenario similar to when the Russian Woodpecker of yore forcibly "shared" popular HF amateur bands.

A new VHF "bird" hunting sport would pop up amongst enterprising hams, making it their purpose in life to develop xmsn techniques to fake out the fluttering Napoleonic drones, causing them to QSY, shepherds herding the flock into submission.

Taïaut ! Yee-haw !! :p --> https://www.qsl.net/n1irz/woodpeck.html

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    N2AMM, WQ4G and KQ6XA like this.
  4. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

ANFR needs to come to the DARC side. :)

KD4MOJ, N2AMM, F4FPR and 1 other person like this.
  5. F4FPR

F4FPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On that particular case I wanted to congrats the DARC & BNetzA for their most recent document , perfect work !

6. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Such actiond may have worked 40 years ago.

Today it would only reinforce the views of the regulators that radio amateurs behave irresponsibly, spoiled and"entitled" and do not not live up to their responsibilities.

In my opinion, such views could only originate from Americans...

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KQ6XA likes this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Having grown up in heavily Scandinavian immigrated Minnesota, working for a Swedish mega-corporation for years, even living in Lund awhile, I comprehend and reject the prevalent bad attitude of being persistently ultra-pessimistic, in a "gloom & doom" fog, "everyone-else-doesn't-get-it" (especially Americans), never offering any realistic concrete solutions, while also being tone-deaf to anyone elses sense of humor.

"Live long and prosper", Karl-Arne.

73, John WØPV

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Tongue-in-cheek humor aside for a moment :p,

The admonition "... live up to their responsibilities" is a bidirectional street.

Such action like this absurd French proposal with dubious timing have been attempted in the past.

Today it will only reinforce the views of THE PUBLIC that private corporate interests and bureaucrats behave corruptible, arrogant, and "untouchable" and do not ... (live up to their responsibilities).

In my opinion, such views are mostly ignored or dismissed with exasperated acceptance by people from Sweden. :(

"Ojdå!"

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The spectrum regulators may be a lot of things, but they are not stupid.

They have a task put onto them from elected Governments and their voters to use
    the radio spectrum in a way that provides the most "value to society".

These aims are commonly summarised into "Spectrum Strategies" in which all aspects of radio usage are weighed together with the end goal to provide as much benefit to the economy and the public as possible.

To keep all stakeholders in such games completely satisfied is impossible which leads to:
    "The needs of the few have to stand back for the needs of the many" as the previous Director General
    of our regulator PTS put it at a seminar some years ago.

Amateur radio has a glorious past, which was dependent on the regulators sometimes instead
    chose to say that "needs of the many have to stand back for the needs of the few".

Our problem is that the regulators that most often were engineers and radio amateurs themselves and who remembered the reasoning at the 1947 and to some extent the 1979 WARC:s have died off or retired.
    Their successors usually have been MBA:s and lawyers which have no warm feelings for amateur radio whatever.

It is to this new regulatory landscape, in which no previous truths are taken for granted, we need to adapt to have any chance to survive. Many countries still have not deregulated their telecom market structure,
    which gives amateur radio some respite due to the very slow moving internal affairs of e.g. the FCC.

But when deregulation fully becomes a reality in Region 2 countries, all bets are off regarding the future status of amateur radio. An FCC fully staffed by accountants and lawyers, which also are "viewing the hand", may stop supporting amateur radio out of habit like what has happened in Europe.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

10. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

11. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Matter of opinion. There ARE a lot of 'stupid' regulators around. They become especially stupid when it comes to money and profit.

Well, actually, it probably doesn't have much to do with voters and their 'wants.' Most likely it has to do with a radio spectrum that provides the most 'profit' to it's owners. Most decisions now days are based on profit - not people. 'Value to society' is just a guise.

The real goal is to provide as much benefit AND PROFIT to the corporations who own it. Benefit to the economy and public are secondary to the real goal.

Propaganda. Most regulators are 'owned' by the corporations that they are supposed to regulate. Of course they are going to say 'the needs of the many out weigh the few.'

Deregulation is another word for 'free for all.' Look at the industries that have been deregulated in the past. You will see a significant increase in lying, cheating, and stealing. Oh, and a significant increase in profit. And, THAT is what this is all about. It's not about what's good for society. It's about money and profit.

Dan KI4AX

KF7PCL and KR3DX like this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news. Thanks for posting that. Very much worth reading it all. Regarding the OP, here is the result,

- Removal of 144-146 MHz from a French proposal for study of additional spectrum for aeronautical applications. (WRC Agenda Item 10)

also

"Commenting on the outcome of CPG, IARU Region 1 President Don Beattie, G3BJ, said that the IARU team at Ankara (the only representatives of the amateur service at the meeting) had presented clear and convincing arguments for the amateur service position and he was pleased that regulators had recognised the strength of the amateur case. ..."

The rest seems generally positive too. Hearty congratulations to the IARU team at the meeting, and those who helped them prepare, whomever they all were.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    KF7PCL likes this.
  13. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent.

15. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The proposal is dead but posting about it will probably continue for months or years.

W3FHT likes this.