ad: MLSons-1

Bill LEAHY, K0ZL of B&B Technical Services SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K6AER, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K6AER

K6AER Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill LEAHY, K0ZL passed away yesterday from an industrial accident at the Miller Coors brewing plant in Golden, CO. According to Miller Coors, employees discovered his death at 9 PM last night. Bill had been with Miller Coors for over 30 years.

Bill had been a ham since he was a boy and loved the hobby. He and his wife formed B&B Technical services in 1982. Bill was one of the premiere repair services for Kenwood as well as other radios. He specialized in restoring older ham gear and in many instances added special modifications to improve popular models. In his repair business he was always fair and timely in producing A+ repair service.

In 2007 B&B Technical services was chosen to be the USA reprehensive for the Expert SPE line of solid state linears.

No arrangements as of yet have been made for Bill service and internment. Bill will be deeply missed by all in the ham radio community. He is survived by his wife, Bonnie KB0HTC.

Our hearts and prayers go out to his family.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  2. GW3YDX/SK2023

GW3YDX/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

K0ZL SK

As the UK representative for SPE I grew to know Bill quite well, indeed only on Monday Bill posted me pictures of his QTH with "real snow" as he called it, compared with the sprinkling we have had in the UK these past few days.

Bill was one of those treasures that we find less and less in ham radio these days. A true technical genius who did not talk down to people, was utterly fair in business and also he had a dry and deep sense of humor that appealed to us Brits in particular.

To say that we will miss him is putting it mildly. Our thoughts are with Bonnie his XYL, and Bill's family.

73 Bill. CU.....

Ron GW3YDX

3. ZS2HK

ZS2HK Ham Member QRZ Page

ZS2HK

I did not know Bill that well, we only met in Jan of this year. He helped me out with the repair on my TS-50 via email. He was the type of person that became close to you very quickly.
    He was a true HAM and the embodiment of Amatuer Radio Spirit worldwide, a good person to his core!
    Wish we had more hams like him.
    He will be missed ALOT!

God Bless and keep his family, our wishes, from all hams in South Africa to his
    family and loved ones.

Good bye Bill, best 73, and good DX!!

Henning Kriel
    ZS2HK

4. KD4POJ

KD4POJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Billl Leahey, K0ZL of B&B Technical Services

Bill will be sadly missed. I met him only recently and sent my TS440 to him Thursday for repairs. Everyone I have talked with has said he was the best. After chatting with him briefly I discovered what a kind individual he was. What a great wealth of knowledge and was willing to share that knowledge freely. I know the Lord will welcome his kind soul.

My thoughts and prayers are with Bonnie and the family.

Rest in peace my friend
    Dwayne
    KD4POJ
    ex DA1PJ, OX3PG

5. KM5TC

KM5TC Ham Member QRZ Page

K0Zl SK

Talked to Bill once over the phone about my KW 120s. He explained to me
    it was fixable, but given the age of the radio my money would be better
    spent on obtaining a newer ham radio. I'm a non tech person, yet Bill took
    the time to give me a tour of what was on on the inside of the 120s causing
    the problem. I took his advice, sold the radio for parts and bought a Icom 718.
    Lets keep his YL in our prayers. KM5TC

6. I0ZY

I0ZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill Leahey, K0ZL of B&B Technical Services SK

I am stunned and shocked by this news.
    In over one year of knowledge I have had the opportunity to appreciate the
    great technical and human qualities of Bill, rarely I have had the
    opportunity to meet a so honest, able and available person.
    Condolences to KB0HTC Bonnie (to whom I will separately write), but
    condolences also to all of us for the loss of a friend and of a great OM.
    Dear Bill, I owe you these few lines!!
    Gianfranco
    I0ZY

7. W0RIC

W0RIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill Leahey, K0ZL of B&B Technical Services SK

Bill will be truly lost by the Ham community. He was an outstanding Elmer & Friend.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Bill's wife Bonnie and their family.

Bill's contribution to Amateur Radio went above and beyond expectations.

He touched many lives in his short life.

He will be missed dearly.

Good Bye Old Friend-R.I.P.
    Rick-W0RIC

8. N0DRC

N0DRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well known radio repairman, family man, and friend dies...

ARRL Colorado Section NEWS RELEASE:

For Immediate Release:
    Date: Feb. 4, 2009
    Time: 09:00 AM MST

For more information contact:
    Dustin Cox, N0DRC
    Phone: 719-369-4026
    n0drc@pion0drc.net

Well known radio repairmen, family man, and friend

Arvada, Colorado, Well known in the ham radio community William Leahy, K0ZL of Arvada, CO passed away on February 3, 2009. According to Miller Coors, employees discovered his death at 9 PM last night. Bill had been with Miller Coors for over 30 years.

Bill had been a ham since he was a boy and loved the hobby. He and his wife formed B&B Technical services in 1982. Bill was one of the premiere repair services for Kenwood as well as other radios. He specialized in restoring older ham gear and in many instances added special modifications to improve popular models. In his repair business he was always fair and timely in producing A+ repair service.

In 2007 B&B Technical services was chosen to be the USA reprehensive for the SPE Expert line of solid state liner power amps. Some of the other ham radio operators who knew him really well had this to say about him.

“As the UK representative for SPE I grew to know Bill quite well, indeed only on Monday Bill posted me pictures of his home with "real snow" as he called it, compared with the sprinkling we have had in the UK these past few days.

Bill was one of those treasures that we find less and less in ham radio these days. A true technical genius who did not talk down to people, was utterly fair in business and also he had a dry and deep sense of humor that appealed to us Brits in particular.

To say that we will miss him is putting it mildly,” Said Ron, GW3YDK of the United Kingdom (UK). Others also commented saying “Bill will be truly lost by the Ham community. He was an outstanding Elmer & Friend.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Bill's wife Bonnie and their family. Bill's contribution to Amateur Radio went above and beyond expectations. He touched many lives in his short life.” Said Rick, W0RIC of Centennial, Colorado. Others also commented on the death of William Leahy, K0ZL. William will surely be missed not only by his family but by his friends and the ham radio community. William told his wife Bonnie KB0HTC before he died that “he did not want anyone to mourn but instead have a party when he dies because he knew where he was going when he died.”

No arrangements as of yet have been made for Williams service and internment. Bill will be deeply missed by all in the ham radio community. He is survived by his wife, Bonnie KB0HTC. As we gets dates and times for Williams services we will be sure to update everyone.

###​

Source: Dustin Cox, N0DRC, Bonnie Leahy, KB0HTC

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. N0DRC

NEWS RELEASE: Well known radio repairman, family man, and friend

I have just posted a press release with the permission of his wife to get a copy of the press release please visit the link below.

http://pion0drc.net/press.aspx

73 de N0DRC

Dustin Cox, N0DRC

10. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

K0ZL

I cannot really add anything except to echo what has already been said.

He was a knowledgeable, patient man who was always upfront with everyone.

Bill has left a great example for the rest of us.

He fixed one rig for me and gave me lots of help on others. I never met him, but his giving heart shone thru in everything he did.

My prayers go out to his family, and I feel priviliged to have known him just a little.

73, Paul K4PDM

11. N0VK

N0VK Ham Member QRZ Page

Will miss KØZL

I called CQ on 10.106 and heard a 599 reply from KØZL. He sent "Hello neighbor"! 10 miles away was 'real DX!":D
    He fixed my radios and charged very fair... "No price for you, Pastor!"
    He loved to play old hymns on his guitar. Our visits would be consumed by both of us strumming and singing... "On a hill far away, stood and Old rugged Cross...."
    Bonnie, Bill's YL, desires our prayers for strength.
    All are invited to the funeral as soon as arrangements are made!

NØVK

12. W6KM

W6KM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How sad to hear of Bill,s passing.

Like many, I know Bill by having had repairs made to my rig. Also had the pleasure of one on the air QSO. I, like many hundreds of Hams will miss this fine man. Hundreds will have not yet heard of Bill,s demise but I am sure they will also miss the man that made us all proud to be called a Ham. Our thoughts go out to Bonnie and all his family. R.I.P. Dick,W6KM

13. N0DRC

ORIGINAL STORY

The following is the original news story from the Denver Post.
    Further details as to when and where services will be help for Bill K0ZL (SK) will be posted as soon as that information is available to us.

73 de N0DRC

Dustin Cox, N0DRC
    n0drc@pion0drc.net

14. W7VJ

W7VJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was chilling to read of Bill's death. I had a wonderful QSO with Bill this weekend for the first time! My deepest regrets and sympathy to Bill's family. The quality of his character showed through in our contact. 73, Bill.

15. N2OGK

N2OGK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio lost a good friend!

I am shocked to hear about Bill's passing. He had just finished a complicated cable and diagram for me for the Expert to work with Elecraft's K3 and HRD. I posted these files last month which Bill wrote up for eveyone's use. Maybe to honer his memory we could read the article he wrote and take his advice:
    http://www.eham.net/articles/20589
    He will be missed!!!
    Dave, N2OGK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.