ad: Radclub22-1

Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source SDR Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

And thus, under NTIA authorization--NOT PART 97 (FCC) privileges-- you are allowed to unlock your IC 7300 for use at AF MARS frequencies.

AF Mars extends limited use of some NTIA frequencies for those so authorized.

Again, you need to read my statements. Part 97 does not allow you the option of unlocking your IC 7300 for allocations outside of the ham bands.

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Dream on

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

Wadda Eyeno about no EYE PEA?

hmmmm...peas for eyes??

dingddididdingd ding dah dddde ding dum!

Wish THIS IP was KEPT secret!

Most annoying IP in universe. To wit:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  4. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a lot of talk here on how radios with additional capabilities can be operated illegally by someone out to operate illegally. Every radio we own can be operated illegally but still we do not do it. I remember a time when we used to build our own equipment and no it was not FCC type accepted and no we didn't operate it illegally. You are either a licensed ham radio operator out to do what we do or you don't belong here.

Equipment availability does not make illegal operations happen, that takes illegal operators. I find those people tend to hang themselves. How many people here think the 11 meter amplifier ban stopped anyone except hams wanting to use their amp on 10 meters? Stop trying to link enforcement by equipment bans as they are stupid and do not work. There are always illegal options for those that wish to break the law. We are not part of that.

Billie Marie KI7WL

N0NC, KM5QS, AF7XT and 3 others like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Billie,

The comments focus on the FCC advisor(ies). Our opinions are just that: opinions. The advisory is definitive-- No importation of Part 97 equipment without Part 97 FCC cert.

My IC-7800 is incapable of out of band transmissions, as imported and purchased. It met FCC cert. I am not authorized to take that piece of equipment OUT OF FCC cert under Part 97.

The IC-7800 most certainly can be 'unlocked' for use beyond Part 97, if the operator is so authorized for use outside of Part 97.

In that case you are not operating as a Part 97 licensee.

We, as Part 97 licensees, are not asked to use 'our best judgement'. We are required to uphold the law:)

If we believe it is a dumb law, then we can petition to change it.

I, for one, have no such issue. Your opinion may differ.

Chip W1YW

KY5U and KA2FIR like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

More dreaming.

The Japanese stole most of it so they had a leg up for WW2. They were thick as fleas in CA and HI in particular and Roosevelt had to take drastic measures to combat the spying and espionage.

The Japanese have a lot of their products built in China.

It is a good thing for them the Chinese economy is slowing but you may not know anything about that subject.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2019
  7. WB7DUO

WB7DUO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe you didn't get to the end of the video, but Kevin did NOT recommend the radio because it violated the open source agreement and the developers request that it could not be used for commercial gain.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its not a question of 'recommending' or 'not recommending'. The FCC requires us to abide by laws as espoused in Part 97 and CFR 47.

Its a question of legally importing a non Part 97 cert transceiver into the US.

No one here should have a transceiver that transmits--according to the PRC derived manual--from 0.5-30 MHz as purchased from outside-US-manufacture.

IOW, we shouldn't really have ANY interest in this imported transceiver
    in the USA.

OK?

Chip W1YW

KY5U and KA2FIR like this.
  9. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So back on topic....Did Chris sell the IP rights or not? I can't find anything that says he did.
    I have a legit mcHF v6 and love it and very happy to support Chris.
    You guys want a real mcHF join the yahoo group and support the real creator.
    David

K6LPM likes this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

And speeling too.

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Speeling.jpg

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

13. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

M0NKA created the mcHF kit. The Chinese bought the kit. Reverse engineered it and sold it preassembled to people too stupid to assemble a salad. Then you have high end Youtube salesmen... I mean creators pushing this shit. Probably should have patented the hardware but I digress carry on.

KA2FIR likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed.

The mcHF kit is both awesome, and legal import into US.

The transceiver is a PRC ripoff of the mcHF kit, does not meet FCC cert for Part 97, and is ILLEGAL TO BRING INTO THE UNITED STATES. It boasts continuous TX coverage from 0.5 -30 MHz. NOT Part 97.

If you PURCHASE one of these transceivers you are doing so illegally (in US) and now with knowledge that it is illegal to buy and use.

If you do the mcHF KIT you are both helping a fellow ham innovator and enjoying the company of other SDR experimenters.

Hope this distinction is clear to all:)

Chip W1YW

KC5HWB, KA2FIR, K6LPM and 1 other person like this.
  15. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets see PRC ripoff, mcHF origional. SDR PCF SDR illegal to order, but what is again the good one to buy and support ?? Clear as mud !