ad: Flexradio-1

Ham Radio - The 2-meter twin lead J-pole antenna.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Oct 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - The 2-meter twin lead J-pole antenna.

KK5R, KM6SIK and K3FIL like this.
  2. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one that works very well indoors on the second floor. No joy at ground level, in or outdoors.

K5MPH likes this.
  3. KK4JW

KK4JW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Basically, it's a slim jim j-pole. They won't light the world on fire, but work well for what they are.

K5MPH and W5TTW like this.
  4. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't beat a flexible roll-up stuff it in a bag antenna for VHF/UHF when you have absolutely nothing else. And yes, I was stuck in a storm with no power and no access to an outside antenna when I strung up a similar antenna for 2M and was able to communicate to the outside world on simplex.

It shouldn't be your primary antenna, but it is magic when you have nothing else.

5. WA2DII

WA2DII XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great slim Jim antenna . One thing , Your SWR will change some in the PVC pipe , most people miss this point . It must be in the clear for proper
    SWR . Joe @ N9TAX.com Has much info on his home web page . Check it out . He sells them on his web 2wayelectronix.com .

K4WWK likes this.
  6. K5LAW

K5LAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used these for years, both in and out of pvc. I used to hang them with a paper clip and a bit of string from the suspended ceiling in my windowless, reinforced concrete and steel first floor office. They were wonderful.

7. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

works great at FM broadcast antenna also

W5TTW likes this.
  8. VE7EDT

VE7EDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure where the Slim Jim comments come from. I think if you look closely at the top end you will discover that it's not bridged across and therefore not a Slim Jim. The isolated segment on the side above the notch has no functional electrical purpose. I built this one a couple of years ago and added a couple of ferrite beads on the coax at the feed point. I hung it in the clear between trusses in the attic and it's been working a charm ever since. Even with a few feet of snow on the roof (plywood and asphalt shingles) , hitting the local repeater or working simplex line of site around town has never been an issue, even low power on the old IC-O2AT. This antenna is well worth the small effort and nil cost it takes to build.... it's a keeper. :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    KK5R, NA5XX and N4GST like this.
  9. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Professor Ed Fong model in the schedule 40 PVC pipe he specifies. Very surprisingly good SWR metrics when placed by a PVC T-Connector to my painters pole.

10. K5MPH

K5MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont put the antenna in a schedule 40 pvc pipe the wall thickness will mess up the swr.......

11. K5MPH

K5MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

On his website he states Class 200 pvc pipe not schedule 40 pvc pipe.the schedule 40 pvc pipe wall are to thick and will cause high swr .......

12. K4FMH

Thank you! I was writing from memory and had been cutting some 40 PVC. I just checked mine as per Ed’s instructions. It’s 200 PVC. Thanks for helping me not inadvertently spread bad info! 73

K5MPH likes this.
  13. N7MDW

N7MDW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Ed Fong I just bought (DBJ-1) specified 200 PSI 3/4" pvc. He specifically warns against using sched. 40 as the 200 psi gives much better RF performance.

K4FMH and K5MPH like this.
  14. K4FMH

Yea, see my reply confessing to bad memory!

15. AG6ZZ

AG6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an Ed Fong J-Pole; not a copy. He and his grad students use a $40k network analyzer to tune each antenna individually, which no other antenna manufacturer does. I've been to his home. I've seen the network analyzer. He's the real deal, and a really nice fellow. The 200 PVC Ed specifies is only for the J-Poles he sells with the PVC end cap. He also sells a roll-up version, which he tunes for not being stuffed into a PVC pipe. If you have the version with the PVC end cap, you must put it in the 200 PVC pipe for it to be tuned optimally. The PVC affects the tune. Make no mistake, the Ed Fong J-Pole has a very low SWR. Mine measured 1:1 across the 2m band the day I bought it. I forget what it was across the 70cm band (very low, I recall), but I've never tried any commercially manufactured antenna that came close. When I connect my Ed Fong J-Pole on top of a 24' painter's pole to my Elecraft KX3, putting out about 2-1/2 W, I'm heard quite clearly by hams in my community who can't hear me at all when putting out 50W from my car mounted antenna driven by my Yaesu FT-7900. This is on the same frequency at the same location.

The bottom line is, if you actually do have a well-tuned antenna, and you're not getting acceptable results, move it. In the case of a 2m/70cm antenna, moving it just a few feet can make a noticeable difference.