ad: Radclub22-1

JS8Call 2.0 - Multiple transmission speeds, a new multi-decoder, and typeahead functionality

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4CRD, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Folks!

I'm happy to announce that after a few months of development and a month of on air testing, JS8Call 2.0 is now available. You can grab your copy here: http://files.js8call.com/latest.html

What is JS8Call? It's an open source amateur radio application to communicate using the JS8 digital mode. You can learn more about it here: http://js8call.com

Why is this 2.0 release so special? Well, it happens to include 3 major features that y'all have been asking for:
    • Transmissions can now happen at three speeds: NORMAL, FAST, and TURBO. The intent is to start your QSO in NORMAL speed and "upgrade" to higher speeds after evaluating your propagation path to your QSO partner.
      • NORMAL - 50Hz - 16WPM - 15 second transmissions decoded down to -24dB
      • FAST - 80Hz - 24WPM - 10 second transmissions decoded down to -20dB
      • TURBO - 160Hz - 40WPM - 6 second transmissions decoded down to -18dB
      • And...the new MULTI decoder can decode all three speeds at once.
    • You can now type your messages while transmitting using the new typeahead feature.
    • The notifications system was revamped so you can select an independent sound card for audio notifications.
    If you've tried JS8Call before, but thought it was too slow... give 2.0 TURBO a try :)

If you've tried JS8Call before and felt like it was hard to have a conversation one line at a time... give 2.0 typeahead feature a try.

If you haven't tried JS8Call before, now's the time. There are over 1000 unique callsigns on the air everyday.

Hope to see you on the air with JS8! Cheers!

Best,
    Jordan / KN4CRD

Capture.PNG

N6SPP, K0UO, WP4BRI and 10 others like this.
  2. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice

3. W1WWA

W1WWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice, allot easier to get through a QSO time wise, Thanks for the update

4. KC7C

KC7C Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all your work on this project. My friends and I have been using your program for over a year now. What a fine program it is today. You really have something now, and I don’t even think of using any other mode for conversation at this point. The faster speeds is just icing on the cake.

K7AAO likes this.
  5. KN4CRD

Definitely my pleasure!

Great to hear :) Glad you're enjoying it!

WP4BRI and W2QA like this.
  6. YV6BXN

YV6BXN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice I am new on that mode just going to try it but the program use same frecuency than ft8 or are quite different

7. KN4CRD

Different frequencies as it is a different mode (meaning, you cannot decode FT8 or similar with JS8Call). Example: 40m frequency is 7.078MHz

K7AAO, WP4BRI and KA1BSZ like this.
  8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KA1BSZ likes this.
  9. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JS8 is a game changer, best thing since sliced bread and PSK31. Actual qso's, get real sig reports as desired, messages to your inbox(like packet of old) and ack on the exchange. The only puzzle is why more have not caught on(maybe all they want is a quick automated exchange). Worldwide keyboard chat with low power and simple antennas.

TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT. The perfect tonic for a solar minimum.

KA1BSZ and KE4HTS like this.
  10. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried it and I like it. Hope it catches on!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    KA1BSZ likes this.
  11. KN4CRD

Tasty!

Huzzah!

12. KN4REE

KN4REE Ham Member QRZ Page

Jordan,

Thanks for this new release and all of your work on JS8Call. It's my favorite mode, for good reasons.

Just wanted you to know it is appreciated!

Mike

13. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

JS8call is certainly a unique digital mode that maintains the feel of TRUE ham radio where conversations take place unlike FT8 and some of those other automated impersonal modes. But I recognize there is a place for all modes.

14. KN4CRD

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your appreciation :D

Yes, indeed! You have to use the best tool for the job. Even *I* still use the Begali key on my desk from time to time.

K2NCC likes this.
  15. KC5YSQ

KC5YSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Went to the links and read up/downloaded, going to try this new-to-me mode out, KC5YSQ in the remote desert of swTX