ad: Flexradio-1

Raspberry Pi for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4ACK, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4ACK

KM4ACK Ham Member QRZ Page

K9FV, HB9AIS, KM5LY and 8 others like this.
  2. W7BCW/SK2023

W7BCW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Very informative video and I would like to learn more but there are 2 issues.
    #1 Where is the link to the webpage that is mentioned in Part 1?
    #2 Where is Part 2 of this video?

AA2EC likes this.
  3. KM4ACK

KM4ACK Ham Member QRZ Page

Raspberry Pi Build Guide - http://tiny.cc/pi4guide

Part 2 coming Tuesday Nov 12.

73, de KM4ACK

K9BBQ and W1KOM like this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do people have to give you their callsign and email to get this information?

I hate that.

All we need is more spam in our lives.

N3MLB, KG6BXW, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  5. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't check for a valid email or callsign. Put in just about anything and it accepts it.

KG6BXW and KR3DX like this.
  6. KN2X

KN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Good stuff. Thanks!

7. KK6FTD

KK6FTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope. It sends me to something called Mailchimp which wants to verify my e-mail address.

KR3DX likes this.
  8. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Uh - okay, I had no trouble getting in with a fake email and callsign. I too dislike being forced to give up any kind of information in exchange for access to something like that. Being required to plug that information in just to get to a couple of pages of information seems a bit dodgy to me.

KR3DX and K0TWA like this.
  9. K0VWA

K0VWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it irony that my Raspberry Pi DNS blocker blocks mailchimp.com? Seems we're not the only ones who don't trust it. :)

KR3DX likes this.
  10. KZ4A

KZ4A Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave it my real email address and call sign, never went to mail chimp. went to the web site. Excellent video by the way. Looking forward to part 2. Thanks for your effort.

N1GKE and WG7W like this.
  11. K0DHO

K0DHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Lookin forward to part two, where get the feeling all the juicy stuff is....

12. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it did go to mailchimp, you just didn't see it do that. Your web browser was redirected to: "mailchi.mp" and that address set a cookie in your computer and it ran cross site scripting (CSS) and it ran a script. Your web browser also was redirected to: "chimpstatic.com" and that address ran a script on your computer. Your browser also went to: "eep.io" where it ran CSS and a script and displayed an image on the webpage that you were viewing. Your browser was also redirected to: "mc.us20.list-manage.com" (I assume that the "mc" stands for mailchimp), which, in turn, set additional cookies on your computer. Be advised that when a website runs a script on your computer, you are allowing it to do almost anything, it's like handing your keyboard and mouse to that website. I'm amazed that that web address doesn't redirect to "googleanalytics", "facebook", "twitter", etc. MOST websites do send you to those sites (and others) so that your browsing activity and history can be tracked and recorded, this allows you to be "profiled" and targeted with adverts in which they feel you may be "interested". Really creepy stuff.

K0VWA likes this.
  13. KR3DX

Correction: CSS is Cascading Style Sheets. Cross Site Scripting is abbreviated XSS. My apologies for confusing the two. Also, "googleanalytics" should be "google-analytics".

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  14. KK6FTD

KK6FTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sneaky! I just went back to http://tiny.cc/pi4guide and I now can enter my email and callsign bypassing the Mailchimp entry. The Mailchimp logo is still at the bottom of the page. tiny.cc/ must have been updated. I now have a mailchi.mp cooky which I am promptly deleting from firefox.

15. KR3DX

You "bypassed" mailchimp because mailchimp already knows who you are if you previously gave them your information. Deleting their cookie probably won't make you invisible to them, most likely they use multiple methods to track you, such as your IP address, "Locally Stored Objects" (LSOs, otherwise known as "supercookies"), browser fingerprinting, etc. Go to that mailchimp logo on the bottom of that web page and click the "privacy" button, or click on this link that I copied: https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/. It's quite lengthy, but it describes what information they collect, how they collect it, and how they use it. I'm not an attorney, but I interpret it to mean that they collect as much information from you as possible, they can use it for any purpose that they desire, they can draw any conclusions about you that they want, and they can share your information with whomever they please. Someday, you will probably be put into a category in which you neither desire nor deserve to be, based upon your browsing history, for example. Have you ever accidentally landed on an inappropriate webpage, or maybe searched for something that could be interpreted in multiple ways? Sorry for the off-topic rant, but believing that you're safe from tracking and profiling by using simple methods is like hiding the key to your house under the doormat and believing that you have cleverely outsmarted the burglars.

N2PQW and K0VWA like this.