ad: Alphaant-1

Off Grid Raspberry Pi clock FT8, WSPR, JS8, ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

WL4T, PE0XJ, ON7TW and 10 others like this.
  2. OH8STN

Hello Operators.
    If you've ever wanted to use a Raspberry Pi off grid & without internet, for ham radio data modes like WSPR, FT8, FT4, JS8, ... I've published a new tutorial for setting up a real-time clock in your Raspberry Pi.
    Julian oh8stn

N6EY, KQ6XA and K8XG like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool Beans.

Thank You.

OH8STN likes this.
  4. OH8STN

You are very welcome.
    Julian oh8stn

5. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent! Thanks Julian!

OH8STN likes this.
  6. OH8STN

7. K4BFH

K4BFH Ham Member QRZ Page

OH8STN likes this.
  8. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only quickly scanned through the video but did you use a GPS as well ? An RTC will eventually drift without constant time correction. It might only be .25 seconds per day but it will be too far out of sync quite quickly otherwise. A GPS is a good permanent solution as it can extract an accurate clock as long as it can see the satellites.

I used PI's with RTC's in the past just to cover the gap when network time via NTP was not available.

9. OH8STN

Awesome.
    I've considered adding stratem
    Ok, perhaps not a very thorough scan. Augmenting the GPS with an RTC, was mentioned within the first minute of the video. The GPS is an excellent reference, but requires some time to acquire satellites before updating the clock. The real time clock provides accurate time instantaneously upon boot, augmentingthe HPS while waiting for acquisition. If it's out of sync, the GPS will update it, once satellite acquisition happens. They are definitely better in combination, than individually.
    Internet NTP is easy, but as mentioned in the video, getting operators to be less dependent on the grid, makes them better prepared for grid down scenarios as in California, or Manitoba.
    Julian oh8stn
    GPS Tutorial

WL4T, AJ4EM and N6EY like this.
  10. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good tutorial OM.
    Keep up the good work.

Adios

OH8STN likes this.
  11. ON7TW

ON7TW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice job!
    Thanks a lot ;)
    Willy - on7tw

12. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Julian - yes I admit I ran through it with no audio quickly - apologies for missing it.

Very good point about mixing the GPS and the RTC.

Good video - thanks.

13. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What if the GPS system went down?

14. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

A single satellite failure can happen, but a total system failure would be a pretty rare event. By using a more accurate RTC (they do exist), your drift could be such that you could go 30 days or so without a GPS lock to sync to, and still be within the FT8 (and others) timing requirements. Alternately, many GNSS receivers can pick up more that one system - GLOSNASS and Galileo are another 2 systems out there, so that could be used should there be a GPS system failure.

However, a major solar storm could conceivably take out multiple satellite systems, but working HF probably wouldn't be in the cards anyway...