ad: AbAuRe-1

Track Movement of Milky Way With Amateur Radio Telescope

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The charm of this system is that it uses OTS RX (an SDR dongle is now usable), and an easy to fab antenna. FAR less work than previous systems!

Then again, it is quite limited in 'what it can do'. Given that, the effort to 'what it can do' ratio is very reasonable.

N5AL and KK4NSF like this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

you might want to look at the new SDRplay RSP2 Pro. I used an R-7100 for a number of years before switching over. The SDR is quieter, and has a lot less coaxial loss than the R-7100 since it can be mounted right on the yagi-boom, and thus the entire system is cleaner.

N5AL and W1YW like this.
  3. KK4NSF

Here is a pic of my "portable" RA Telescope system. My bigger one is just the same, except it's on an Equatorial Mount. I posted a write-up on it in the Space Radio section of the forum.

[​IMG]

N5AL and W1YW like this.
  4. N1GKE

N1GKE Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that is the very best receiver for under $US 30,000 or so.
    To do that on the cheap is just great. I wonder how effective it
    would be to build one for satellite use. Hmmm. Thanks for the
    incentive, John. Many 73 from RI.
    I can be reached anytime via Hamshackhotline.com, my extension
    number is 4094.

N5AL, KK4NSF and W1YW like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You dont have to spend that much. LNA's can be cooled and that will beat down the noise big time. Even for amateurs.

The number one rule is never, ever look at the ground with the receiver on. Too hot--burn out front end or at least saturate it....

:)

W1TRY, N5AL and KK4NSF like this.
  6. KK4NSF

I've got a really nice LNA that I used with my old reciever.... but don't use it with the SDR. The concept is this: by mounting the SDR directly on the yagi, you eliminate the coaxial losses..... and since one of the main reasons for the LNA is to overcome those losses, you can do away with it from the system without nearly as big a penalty as one would expect.

The portable rig in the pic is GREAT for satellites. I'm in the middle of building a 2m / 70cm antenna..... each one with it's own feed harness. That would make it simple to switch between uplink / downlink in less than a second usin the same radio.
    overloading the LNA / detector has always been a problem in RA, and the SDRplay is no exception. With an LNA, you can overload the SDR quite easily, especially with the yagi since they exhibit side lobes. Even a nearby weak signal outside the beam looks like a fireball on the FFT / Waterfall screen. I run the SDR without an LNA to avoid that problem.

N5AL and W1YW like this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP only has intro and exit text from the Spectrum article. However there was a link embedded in the title to view its entire contents. Details in that material include this info that may pertain to your questions,

"I purchased the dongle from Nooelec.com ($37) because that company had also recently started selling a gizmo that seemed perfect for my application: It contains two low-noise amplifiers and a surface-acoustic-wave (SAW) filter centered on 1420 MHz ($38). The dongle itself provides power for the amplifier through the coaxial cable that connects them, a 30-cm (12- inch) length of coax purchased on Amazon.com ($9). The dongle just sits on the ground next to my horn and is attached to a Windows laptop through a USB extension cable."

Link to LNA spec's etc -> https://www.nooelec.com/store/sdr/sdr-addons/sawbird/sawbird-h1-barebones.html

FYI - the author and radio telescope maker Dave @N2LVD may not respond on this forum, however I received a quick reply via this email address -> david.schneider@ieee.org

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    N5AL and W1YW like this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

They are not Lids; QSX split UP UP UP ! on 4462.35 MHz (H x Pi) :p

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The original article has a nice photo of the "pin" (monopole) antenna and precise directions of why and where to place it within the "can" waveguide. A cute little 1/4w ground-plane vertical.

[​IMG]

Chip, with such an antenna on a celestial target are there any effects from polarization on observations? Could there be a benefit to add a second "pin" placed on the adjacent can side, 90 degrees opposite to the first antenna?

For not much more $ that could be a totally separate path to its own separate LNA and SDR, with the two signals combined after detection. The HDSDR software apparently may be configurable to perform diversity reception in real-time, interleave the two paths at the I/Q level.

73, John

KK4NSF likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as I thought.

Yeh, you could add a second monopole and second receiver and 'total power' the two on the computer. But the 21cm hydrogen line is generally unpolarized, or weakly polarized.

Better just to time average longer rather than double the electronics.

'Horn' type antennas are far advanced since these early designs--unabashed plug: just got the patent on fractalized, shrunken, broadband horns. Hot 5G antenna for the lower bands ;-)

Building a simple horn is fun and quite gratifying. Keep in mind a modified horn of this type discovered the 'Big Band' 3 degree background (CBR).

W0PV likes this.
  11. KK4NSF

yes it can be. The only real problem with them is that as the frequency gets lower, they tend to grow to very large proportions, which makes them difficult to steer / aim.... thus you are limited to sweep scanning.

12. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS is too, too cool!

13. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope not have you seen the news lately?

KK4NSF likes this.
  14. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Brilliant article! We need more insipiration like this.

KK4NSF likes this.
  15. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page