ad: Schulman-1

ICOM IC-705: A slightly different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice presentation with the limited information you had to work with. But you may want to update your operating time calculation?
    If the 705 draws the same amount of receive current as the IC 7300, as I expect it to do, you won't get up to 4 hours of operating time.
    At 800 ma on receive, which is what the 7300 consumes, with the on board battery supplied by Icom, you are lucky to get more than 2 hours and a few minutes of receive time......and that's receive time only ! Now make a few Q's in that window and you will be lucky to get one full hour of operating time.
    It may be a great idea to purchase a few extra Icom batteries to take along, but those batteries are super expensive.
    I think if one were to carry an extra battery, they should look into a 6000 mah 3 cell LiPo battery. You can get one of those for less than $89. I've seen larger capacity LiPo's if one needs more operating time.
    For me, to pack up my gear, along with a RESONANT antenna and once set up be only able to operate for no more than an hour would be very disappointing.

I do have to say the 705 has so many nice features that it's hard to pass up.

I am looking forward to trying one out at HRO when it's brought to the states.

Barry, KU3X/QRP

http://www.ku3x.net/portable-qrp/elecraft-kx3

KO4ESA, WA3UHZ, K7GYB and 1 other person like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go look at your ID51 battery. There is indeed a place for a belt clip. I wouldn't necessarily say you should use it with this rig...but if you think it'll make your 705 looks spiffy as you ride your Little Rascal, go for it. :D

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. EA5S

EA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

In many ways the 705 brings to the table features that I suggested to Elecraft for a possible “KX4”. Ultimately the success or not of the 705 as a field radio will hinge on its current draw figures which as I understand haven’t been published yet. I use a KX3 in the field and like the fact that I can do psk31 and rtty without a computer (I log on my phone). Also I use an 8.4 A lifepo battery which weights less than 1kg and lasts many hours at 12w. And let’s not forget also that one of the benefits of the 817/8 is it’s ruggedness. I need to protect my KX3 a lot more than an 817 and it looks like the 705 isn’t something you’d chuck in your backpack.... so, I’m not sold yet on the 705, but not ruling it out, either

KO4ESA, WA2LXB and KU3X like this.
  4. W5MIL

W5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Give me a radio exactly like the IC-705, with 100w, and my life will be complete! :D

KO4ESA and KD2GIY like this.
  5. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

At long last and after 30 years on-air i think i may have found an Icom that "i like the look of" :cool:

I "may" depending on the price decide to get my 1st Icom :p

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

The single antenna socket is a minus (compared to the FT817 which has two - I find that very useful). Ideally it should have two with the second configurable on HF to be used for receive antennas.

I'm surprised Julian hasn't mentioned the opportunity it could have been to be a 20 watt rig ( https://oh8stn.org/blog/2018/08/01/qrp-vs-20-watts-what-is-the-practical-difference/ ) .

Or is this less important with more efficient digital modes?

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what an ID51 battery is and never saw one.

But, I can imagine the ham with one on their belt with 40 meter ham stick... mounted on the top of a metal RACES / CD helmet. LOL

Ready on all bands, here to serve ECOMM's

Give it time, WA6VVC

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. AD7J

AD7J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also looking for the mobile version. Nice as a QRP rig but have been looking for a IC-7100 replacement

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. KN4SKF

KN4SKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good presentation, as expected from Julian. Icom could build a 100 watt amp. Affordable as a companion to this radio and really have a winner.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KD4IZ

KD4IZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Julian -
    Looking forward to actually seeing the release of this rig for the same reasons that you are. I'll be curious to see what you come up with as you go along. Meanwhile, still puttering with the DRAWS on RPi option and my mk1 model1 FT-817... but it ain't a backpacker option. I am glad you made no mention of the "fashion accessory" backpack the showed in Tokyo... It looked really good on Michiko, but not for serious SOTA-ing.
    Jack - KD4IZ

KO4ESA likes this.
  11. K4CUL

K4CUL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good presentation. Looking forward to a real hands-on review when the product is actually available. I like the concept of the entire package, but wish it did have an internal tuner (maybe that will be an option at some point). Holding off on K2 until more is known about this unit. SOTA... POTA... sitting on my deck with a B(eer)OTA...

KO4ESA and WA2LXB like this.
  12. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great points, I agree and I pine after the KX3. I do chuck the 7300 with side handles into a backpack with a 20AH LiFePo and it does well. If I want QRP I drop it down to 5W, but of course receive draw is way higher than a KX3. It's also as heavy as a dead senator but it has the auto tuner, panadapter and 100W. Bolt all that to a KX3 and it gets pricey and heavy.

K0PIR likes this.
  13. KJ6TTR

KJ6TTR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't that the same as saying, "It can receive AM broadcast radio? I don't listen to AM, so I'm not going to buy it?" Why would a feature you won't use keep you from buying it? Just curious on the logic behind it.

KO4ESA and N5EQY like this.
  14. W5KAL

W5KAL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice review. Can not wait till they arrive in the US.

KO4ESA likes this.
  15. AL7PX

AL7PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent portable rig. If reasonable, I'll buy one.

KO4ESA and KU3X like this.