ad: AbAuRe-1

How Prepared Are You?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4ACK, Sep 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Im on top of the highest hill in ~ 20 miles that should survive that mega tsunami from the Canary Islands. After that its a matter of where the gas will come for the generator and when the food runs out.

Hurricanes, Blizzards, Ice storms, Nor'easters up here in NH are just a minor annoyance for a few hours to two weeks before power is restored, gas and food has always been available in some surrounding town.

Carl

2. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Point made and understood.;)

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You'll then break a long standing Zed tradition of NOT watching the video yet comment about it anyway. ;)

N5YPJ likes this.
  4. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree with that statement.

5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

So far the Government, to my knowledge, has NEVER EVER admitted to the existence of Area 51. In all the 10's of thousands of classified documents, pertaining to black projects at Area 51 that have been declassified, all references to Area 51 have been redacted (blacked out) except for two times. Those two times are thought to be mistakes where the person redacting the references missed them.

There have been a few men, who worked at Area 51, that have admitted the existence of the place after classified documents about the programs they worked on were released to the general public. But, NOT the Government. As far as the Government is concerned the place does not exist (unless things have changed recently).

Oh, and a lot of those other areas are right there next to Area 51. They are the parcels that make up the Nevada Test Site. Area 13 has a particular interesting history.... Area 13 BTW sits within Area 51 and if memory serves me right, is located about 5 miles North of Groom Lake.

Dan WQ4G

6. KB2UEW

KB2UEW Ham Member QRZ Page

very good advice nice information thanks from kb2uew

KM4ACK likes this.
  7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay boys and girls. I won't break into another rant about the state of getting hams to prep,volunteer, train and coordinate to be prepared to leave their fat bellied comforts of home when the spit-hits-the-spam.

And, that "when all else fails" has never been a bigger farce than it is today.

8. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I all seriousness, I found this to be a pretty good video. He is not talking about total nuclear war, but rather the natural disasters that happen on a frequent basis. All my present rigs can run from 12V, and I have solar panels and batteries to store power for some time, in addition to a generator. I also have an RV with generator if needed.
    I have tried both Winlink and JS8Call, and been underwhelmed with both. There is a "local" (20+ miles away) packet machine that I have sent Winlink email through, but HF has been problematic due to terrible propagation issues. About half the time, I cannot connect to a node, and then when that happens, QSB knocks things for a loop. I have not tried P2P Winlink, but that may be a possibility. JS8Call sounded good when it was announced, but so far, has been another disappointment. Dog-slow and unreliable for me - by "unreliable" I mean that the same problems that affect HF Winlink affect JS8Call, also - QSB, QRN, bad propagation. I'd say I've had maybe 2 or 3 actual conversations with JS8Call that were finished to a "73". All the rest were interrupted by some issue as noted above.
    What I have learned from this is that you have to have multiple comm channels available, as you don't know what will happen to a particular mode. DMR is another option, but it is almost totally dependent on internet access, and that will definitely not always be available. Lots to think about here, but having the gear and the experience to use it is always a good idea.

KK4CUL likes this.
  9. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's different in many areas. There are plenty of people that are very dedicated. Some are what I would describe as over-the-top-gung-ho, and to me, they're scary. A mix of people in the middle is all I every asked for in volunteers. In some places hams are set up to almost be first responders and that is wrong also... we're not supposed to be that. But there is something to be said for just "preparing" for yourself! Nothing wrong with not being part of the whole EmComm picture, just designing and building your own backup power system to run your station. There are those that are designing better charge controllers and transfer switches using new microcontrollers, and integrating with solar, generators, and the grid. They're advancing the practical "where the rubber meets the road" aspect of the radio art and that will have benefits all over the place as natural disasters seem to get worse.

Not everything has to be to support ARES/RACES. Sometimes, it's just for yourself or for the DIY field in general.

KE8BHP and K9GLS like this.
  10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Between some of the hurricanes that have hit in recent years coupled with power outages - we've seen food supplies, fuel and electricity thin out over the span of 1-2 weeks here.

We've stocked up some of that long lasting sealed food (just add water) that is supposed to last a long, long time and we have some water stockpiles - enough that should last us about 4 weeks (we have other items as well.. from suggested emergency supply lists) It is more than I think we will never need. I keep enough fuel to keep our generators going for roughly the same amount of time (with limiting the run times). If natural gas remains available, we have heat and can light our stovetop for cooking. If not, I'm always stocking up on charcoal (I watch the sales) and there is easily enough to cook every night for 4 weeks.. plus I have a supply of white gas for the coleman stoves. So food/water/electricity/heat/cooking is pretty well covered. If it looks like anything would go longer than that.. we'd then look to get out of the area and stay with family. We are really mostly prepared for natural disasters and something would have to be really, really bad.. worse than I've seen for us to have to use 3-4 weeks of supplies in NNJ.

I've never seen anything that has required that here. I suppose there are absolutely areas where you need those kind of supplies yearly for survivial (I'm thinking like remote wilderness) but we're in densely populated NJ.

As far as war, economic collapse, zombie kittens, etc that some people plan for.. well.. while anything is possible.. I've never seen that here in my lifetime and I'm not about to plan for anything like that.

11. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That is also the motto for great contesters, auto racers and many other things.

12. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

"... zombie kittens..." I am totally UNprepared for zombie kittens.
    [​IMG]

AE5GT and N1YR like this.
  13. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A few days' food and water. Add heat if you live up north. Anything more is silliness... If civilization collapses that badly, you're screwed. No one can live isolated for very long.

What, you'll hunt for food? You mean like the other 1,000,000 people who live near you? What, you'll grow your own? I hope you have a draught horse and equipment for him to pull... One acre per person is gonna be hard work.

N0TZU and N5YPJ like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

side note, B=Buran
    The Buran spacecraft was a space shuttle developed by the Soviet Union in response to NASA's space shuttle program. Buran, which means “snowstorm” in Russian, flew one time.

Buran was the first spaceplane to be produced as part of the Soviet/Russian Buran programme. It is, depending on the source, also known as "OK-1K1", "Orbiter K1", "OK 1.01" or "Shuttle 1.01". Besides describing the first operational Soviet/Russian shuttle orbiter, "Buran" was also the designation for the entire Soviet/Russian space-plane project and its orbiters, which were known as "Buran-class space-planes".
    OK-1K1 completed one uncrewed spaceflight in 1988, and was destroyed in 2002 when the hangar it was stored in collapsed. The Buran-class orbiters used the expendable Energia rocket, a class of super heavy-lift launch vehicle.

NQ1B likes this.