ad: elecraft

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'M SURE THAT WITH ALL THE TIME, MONEY, AND TREES SAVED FEES WILL BE REDUCED OR EMPLOYEES WILL GET A WELL DESERVED RAISE. :rolleyes:

K4XJ likes this.
  2. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

That right. It’s far from free.

K4XJ likes this.
  3. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

So does that mean that the FCC will abandon the 18+ day wait in processing Vanity callsign requests?

As I recall, the whole reason for the delay was to allow "mail-in" requests to be received @ FCC HQ prior to processing.

If adopted, the Vanity program process can realize "real time" processing just like every other online activity.

The "electronic filing" would certainly have been nice in late 2001 - early 2002 during the USPS Anthrax scare: any one else get caught up in that fiasco like I did?

4. KA9NUG

KA9NUG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am really disappointed to see the use of terms such as "old fart" and "young punk" being used in a ham radio forum. I have always
    believed that this was a hobby made up of people willing to communicate in a friendly manner and even help each other in various ways.

As for the use of the FCC website, I recently tried to print out my license after renewal. It is easy to print out a "reference copy" but
    getting to the point of printing an "official copy" is quite a different exercise.

I guess, that at the age of 75, I would fall into the "old fart" category for some, and I suppose that means that you don't know anything
    about computers. My computer history goes back to before IBM put the first "PC" on the consumer market.....have put-together and
    setup several computers over the years....and have several in use here at home, for music and video editing, digital photography, and
    of course, for ham radio.....and also make many on-line purchases of items that are not available locally.

Just remember, guys and gals, all of us start out young.....and, if we live long enough, we get old.

73 de Dennis

KE9OL, K4XJ, WJ4U and 2 others like this.
  5. WA6YPE

WA6YPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Your time will also come my friend.

KE9OL, K4XJ and K3XR like this.
  6. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

How about an auto renew, unless you’re dead. What a novel idea.

7. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

How about, like many commercial operator licenses (See "Renewal Procedures, Important Note"), it's for "life".

Skip the whole renewing thing, it'll be cheaper and easier for everyone.

N4EMP likes this.
  9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Won't fly - "they"would have to rewrite fundamental purpose :

§97.1 Basis and purpose.
    The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles: (a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications. (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art. (c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art. (d) Expansion of the existing reservoir (?) within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts. (e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international ....

Especially part (d).

Or not and just perpetuate the current boldface lies.

End of promised post about Part 97.

73 Shirley

10. N4EMP

N4EMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Renewed both wife (N4VBS) and son's (K4TEP) via ULS this week. Requested PAPER on both. Hopefully I'll be long dead and gone before 2029 comes. Renewal year on both. Mine will be due in 2022. Maybe things will go well then! #fingerscrossedearly

11. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the number of data breaches on the internet these days, I'd like to know what kind of robust mechanism would be in place to handle renewals, address changes, etc.

12. WB3ACC

WB3ACC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be 80 in a couple months God willing. That qualifys me as a OF! Think of this, why not perpetual ham licenses?? Huh. I have a perpetual commercial license. Whats the difference. Lee

13. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Young punks are anyone younger than me, old farts are anyone older. Seems to me there are less and less old farts every day.

KD0QG likes this.
  14. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The information that could leak from the FCC concerning you already exists online elsewhere. It is absolutely laughable that people still use PO boxes to shield their home address. The barn door is open, and the horse has already fled.

WA8FOZ, AA4MB and KB2SUJ like this.
  15. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

K4XJ likes this.