ad: CQMM-1

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer to do everything on line with instant gratification :)
    I could not even tell you the last time I had to mail something...

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not a divisive comment? :D

AA4MB likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it has as much to do with "going green" as is does with "saving a lot of money." ;)

I much prefer being able to renew my license and just print it out, not mail some form off and wait for a license to come back. ;)

KU4X likes this.
  4. W4NNF

On the postal service, not on the FCC.

5. W4NNF

Not much of one. If you need to renew your license and can't use or don't want to use a computer, there are people you can call of the phone (even a landline phone), who will do it for you. For a fee. ;)

K2NCC likes this.
  6. W4NNF

Or maybe they are asking: "Ham radio is supposedly so high-tech these days, but to get a license you have to fill out a paper form with a ballpoint pen and mail it somewhere?!" ;)

7. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice insult there, bud! I'm an "old fart" and your comment is one of the reasons I don't want some young people in the hobby. Privileged, snowflakes, arrogant.
    We "old farts" would be happy to put up our knowledge of ham radio up against yours any day.

N4GST, WA5VGO, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  8. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many 'no license' frequencies. Pai likes no licenses... Makes enforcement easier.

KI4AX

9. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm happy to renew online, but still want a printed copy.

K4XJ, WQ4G and KF4ZKU like this.
  10. KF4ZKU

KF4ZKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Umm you can’t even get a tin police badge much less a toy in a cereal box these days!

11. N2JNR

N2JNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it that difficult to give people the option to charge them for a hard copy if they request one? I would pay a few dollars if it was on the old paper stock that has more of an official feel than what's generated now. As it is, the cut along this line text is on the inside of the official copy (on right side of license).

K4XJ, KB2SUJ and WQ4G like this.
  12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people don't have computers and don't want one. There are also people that do not have internet service. Not because they don't want it or cant afford it. Because they are so far off the grid that there is no internet service (yet).

Actually, I know people, here in Florida, who have just recently (within the last two years) been up graded from dial up to Broad Band service. Could you imagine trying to use dial up now days? It wasn't because they didn't want Broad Band - it was because it was not available to them.

Yes, there are services that will perform licensing filings for you. Have you checked their prices? Some of them seem a little steep on the price for the amount of effort involved. Especially if you are using a computer to do the filings.

Dan

N4GST and K4XJ like this.
  13. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL does renewals for members at no cost. ;)

N4GST, K2NCC, WJ4U and 1 other person like this.
  14. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL does renewals for members at no cost.

15. KI5ELV

KI5ELV Ham Member QRZ Page

While I agree that most companies are encouraging customers to go paperless to save money on mailing out all those bills every month, it is optional. There is also a direct cost to the company to purchase paper, ink, envelopes, postage, etc to physically mail out bills.
    In the case of license renewals, the cost is totally on the licensee. The FCC does not mail out notices that your license is about to expire. Their cost is simply the salary of one employee to sit down, enter the data (normally just the callsign) into the computer and hit enter. That person could take less than 1 hour per workday to do that. Then they are free to do other things. It is not a cost savings measure for the FCC. They aren’t going to eliminate any positions by forcing online filing.

AA4MB, KB2SUJ and K3XR like this.