ad: Alphaant-1

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    NY7Q, N8WXT, K1DHH and 1 other person like this.
  2. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess soon there will be no license at all the way its going.

W9ELO, W8QW, N4GST and 16 others like this.
  3. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In this day in age, I do not see electronic-only filing as problematic. But I am sure that some real "old farts" will disagree.

KG5SFT, KD8EFQ, W6QY and 17 others like this.
  4. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see the point of the FCC's request ... but for one thing. At approximately 5,000 manual filings received in the mail per year, that works out to be roughly 20 or so of those per day, give or take. Any agency of the federal government which cannot process 20 amateur applications per day - apparently the vast majority of these - is doing something gravely wrong. I work in a federal office which receives paper filings from Joe Public and I'd venture to say that each of those take far longer than an FCC license renewal to process. Particularly given the fact that I'd bet that most of these applications are renewals ... nearly all the information is already in the FCC's system. Also, since these for the most part likely from older hams renewing existing licenses, as they die off the number will only steadily decrease, not increase. In other words, this issue for the FCC will take care of itself over time.

I can only imagine some old geezer who doesn't own a computer trying to figure out why his old FCC form didn't get a license renewal, but instead is now receiving a notice of apparent violation from the FCC for unlicensed operation. Oh, wait a minute ... sorry. That presupposes actual enforcement of the amateur frequency allocations, doesn't it?

KB2SMS, K0PV/SK2023, WZ7U and 8 others like this.
  5. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

<old fart mode / on> I'm 60 years old. Shall we take this outside and let me educate you by holding my IC-02AT by the antenna and letting the battery do the only work it's still capable of? ;) <old fart mode / off>

AC7RH, KF4HAY, K4VL and 20 others like this.
  6. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

<older fart mode/on>
    I'm 65 years old. Shall we take this outside and let me educate you by beating you with the wireless mouse I just used to take care of my FCC business on-line? :cool::cool:
    That GS-5 clerk that is taking care of amateur license renewals can be reassigned to more productive duties.
    <older fart mode/off>

Survival belongs to those who can adapt. (I think someone smart said that a long time ago.)

Regards,
    -Bruce

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    AC7RH, N0CEL, K4VL and 16 others like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Noticed those numbers also. Get the feeling that the FCC not only wants to put amateur radio on the back burner, but they also want to put it somewhere out in the back 40?:D

That didn't take long for comments from the "young punks".

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the way of the world, and it's not a bad thing. If you can't (or don't want to) use a computer and navigate the ULS, there are a number of entities who will do that for you for a fee. ;)

K9UR, K4AGO and NN4RH like this.
  9. W4NNF

I don't think the FCC wants to do anything of the sort. They just want to preserve the very limited resources they have now by going to all electronic filing. Something I'd have had them do at least ten years ago if I'd been in charge. It's freaking 2019. ;)

W1YW, G3SEA, WA8FOZ and 4 others like this.
  10. W4NNF

Non-sequitur. They are not changing the licenses, dumbing them down, or doing anything like that. They are trying to move to all-electronic filing the same way your electric company and your credit card company and everybody else are trying to move you to paying bills online--and for the exact same reasons. ;)

N0CEL, WA5MD, AD0AM and 14 others like this.
  11. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, the only comments you'll see here are from those who have figured out how to get online.

I wonder if a nonprofit club could volunteer to accept renewal applications by CW on 40m and forward them to the FCC via the Internet?

N4GST, K4AGO, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  12. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have little problem with renewal electronically, though the process is excessively cumbersome, we know where Rube Goldbergs nephew works, at the FCC doing web design.
    I am saddened by the lack of the 'official document' of yore, that green paper like legal tender and very official. Though you can get an official PDF from the FCC and there are people that are able to 'make it look real'
    http://www.ae7q.com/misc/Generate.php

AC7RH, K0PV/SK2023, KA2UVI and 2 others like this.
  13. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Aren't the licenses printable? Is that going to change?

14. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the license is printable.
    No, that is not going to change.

Regards,
    -Bruce

N4GST and AB5WX like this.
  15. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am surprised they have not proposed this sooner. Personally I jump at the chance to file as much as possible electronically, it is much easier. I have not renewed a ham license by mail in 20 years.

WA9JOQ and KU4X like this.