ad: Radclub22-1

New French CEPT paper still wants 144-146 MHz for Aeronautical

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

New French CEPT paper still wants 144-146 MHz for Aeronautical

The French administration has renewed its attack on the Amateur Radio 144-146 MHz band ahead of a key CEPT ECC CPG meeting in Ankara, August 26-30

In a paper to be considered at the conference the French Administration says it is not at this time seeking Primary status for the Aeronautical Mobile Service in 144-146, however, their intent is still that the Aeronautical should share the amateur 2m band.

It is clear where such sharing would inevitably lead, amateur operation in the band would only be tolerated if there were no interference to Aeronautical Mobile. Radio Amateurs might be subject to heavy restriction and low EIRP limits.

We can get on idea of France's long term intent for 144 MHz from their attitude to the 1240-1300 MHz band. It was initially said the Galileo constellation could amicably share this allocation and amateur operation could continue but now France says "unregulated use of the band 1240-1300 MHz by the amateur service is a serious source of harmful interference to RNSS receivers." See
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/august/threat-to-amateur-radio-23cm-band.htm

The French paper CPG(19)137 F - AI10 - Non safety AMS-background information is at
    https://www.cept.org/Documents/cpg/53024/cpg-19-137_f-ai10-non-safety-ams-backgroud-information

Read the Save 2 Meter story French administration strikes back at IARU at
    https://www.save2m.org/2019/08/french-administration-strikes-back-at-iaru/

Follow Save 2 Meter at
    https://twitter.com/Save2Meter

Other Ankara meeting documents are at https://cept.org/ecc/groups/ecc/cpg/client/meeting-documents/?flid=10031

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/20...-still-wants-144-146-mhz-for-aeronautical.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

To find out more in detail what is going on, and the position of the Swedish regulator in this issue, I invited myself to the last preparatory meeting before the CPG yesterday.

Amateur radio was only touched upon, and the indifference of the regulator towards the whole issue was quite evident.
    The Swedish regulator has however not finally made up its mind whether or not to support the French proposal.

In general, they are supportive of all proposals that could result in more extensive spectrum sharing and non-exclusive bands, but it was mentioned in passing that the French proposal may result in having to participate in CEPT and ITU study programmes, which they do not want to do in connection with something so unimportant as amateur radio.

For these reasons, they may decide not to support the proposal for the time being.

In other frequency bands, there have also been discussions of sharing between land-mobile and aeronautical mobile users.

Many "in the business" are of the opinion that the current practice of disallowing aeromobile use of the land-mobile bands (primarily 162-174 MHz) relies on outdated sharing criteria and practices from the 40s and 50s, and that modern technology permits sharing in much greater extent today.

For this reason, the resurfacing of proposals like the French is almost assured, as the competition for spectrum increases.

Most regulators are also governed by high-level policy decisions that say that "exclusive spectrum allocation", except for a very small number of public and transportation safety critical systems, should become a thing of the past.

One example is the peace-time frequency allocations for Armed Forces, which are becoming shared with various civilian users in a rapidly increasing pace.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

W1YW likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

French RAF --where were you?

This seems like a 1-2 sucker punch without an organized effort to defend.

Someone kindly tell me it ain't so....

Chip W1YW

4. 2E0NXE

2E0NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree
    Paul E20NXE

5. K8BPZ

K8BPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone thought how this will affect ARES and Skywarn systems? Local governments and citizens that depend on 2 meter for warnings? Why don't we just all turn in our licenses and say to hell with it? Isn't that what they are wanting? The liberal marxists and their idealistic "freedoms" of "all pigs are equal but some are more equal than others" concept? I am very concerned about this. I cannot afford another radio and I know others that cannot either that are very active in emergency services. Help me here to understand this. Why does France want OUR frequencies when we are all over here? When in US, they can simply change to normal aeronautical frequencies. Can't they?

MM6KHA likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Right now this is just for Euro countries... the point is that we (US)should be alarmed by the process and prospects here Stateside also.

2M FM in Euro is far less used than in the US.

Even if it goes thru it would not effect Stateside 2M for us. But the precedent would be hard to stop in the future in US.

Chip W1YW

KC1DR and WQ4G like this.
  7. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am confident that there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we are just not privy to yet. However, the IARU and European member societies have been making a big noise about this. It is just that the ITU doesn't really care what that tiny population of hams think in the big scheme of things, and the billions and billions of dollars all this stuff represents. If you're going down the road of "the ARRL sucks because they're not doing anything" then I would say you may misunderstand that this is currently a European issue, not a US issue, and while influential, the ARRL would still be outside of its scope on this. In that light, what organized effort would you propose?

N5YCK, N2AMM and W1YW like this.
  8. K8BPZ

K8BPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Keeping the frequencies they have now and developing "trunking" would be cheaper, would it not?

9. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they're looking at this more for drones, and the whole concept is that it's generally incompatible with everything they are allocated now, so they want a four year study to find where it fits the best. Thus, they want to examine every single "Hz" of bandwidth so the scientific community (funded by the ITU) can find an answer to where their drone transmissions will work. And they're doing this under the guise of "sharing frequency spectrum" and "re-using frequency spectrum," so that other government agencies (similar to our FCC) will get on board (which is partially working).

But what they're really looking for is spectrum to dump this technology where it won't interfere with their current aircraft. In fairness, the French proposal did not just pick on ham radio- they're picking on everyone across the board. They're trying to shoehorn their drones anywhere they can be made to fit, they don't really care who. What they're saying is "let us do a study? If your allocation is incompatible with ours, that will be revealed in the study."

And what the IARU is saying in response is "we don't need no stinking study to tell us that your airborne drones won't work with our satellites."

Unfortunately, the way the French are talking, they are likely to get their study because they are using language that the other agencies can relate to.

Trunking - don't get me started.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    N5YCK and W1YW like this.
  10. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

There was also a proposal about the 1200 MHz aviation band band and sharing it for commercial non aviation users.

Last month a questionaire went out to several North American and European aviation communication equipment manufacturers about a UK proposal for sharing of the upper portion of the aviation DME band which also includes the lower part of the ham 1200 MHz band, the use which is for broadcast short range wireless mics in the UK and then other parts of Europe for starters.

The majority consensus of the aviation manufacturers questioned was to approve the UK proposal for sharing in the upper DME part of the band with no serious objections given.

I see this as just a sign of the times and I have faced the fact that our ham frequencies are at the bottom of the barrel with consideration of importance by regulators worldwide.

In one hand the aviation Mfg's didn't object to sharing of their 1200 MHz frequencies so I would suspect that they will be rewarded in the future with the possibility of some new frequencies for their future use.

11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

From M5AKA posted on AMSAT-BB -> Germany tells CEPT it "cannot determine a single realistic sharing scenario, not leading to serious mutual interference on both sides and not seriously degrading the use of the 144-146 MHz band"

https://www.cept.org/Documents/cpg/53066/cpg-19-info108_d-ai10-german-view-on-144-146-mhz

(The link above is a DOC download of a detailed illustrated predictive technical analysis - WØPV)

Summary:

Germany does not support the inclusion of the 144-146 MHz primary allocated to the amateur service/amateur satellite service in the proposed WRC-23 agenda item regarding a possible new allocation to the aeronautical mobile service for non-safety applications.

The evaluation of the signal strength of an AMS transmitter at various heights ranging from 100 m to 10 km, shows that an 1 W eirp source in 500 m height will cover an area of almost 400 km diameter with signal levels ranging from -65 to -119 dBm. At greater heights, that diameter quickly reaches up to 1000 km at 10000 m. This is even a rather conservative approach since the EIRP of an AMS transmitter most probably will be much higher than 1 W eirp.

The same situation will be present at an AMS receiver where even a moderate average amateur radio station transmitter (63 dBm EIRP) will produce signal levels between -47 and -67 dBm at distances up to 500km.

Consequently, Germany cannot determine a single realistic sharing scenario, not leading to serious mutual interference on both sides and not seriously degrading the use of the 144-146 MHz band.

Based on the physical/technical situation described, the needed range of studies on the possibility of use of the 144-146 MHz band by both the amateur radio/satellite service and the AMS is very likely to produce a considerable amount of work for all involved parties while the result predictable already.

W1YW likes this.
  12. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh,

I'm not sure what the following is about because the following link doesn't play on my tablet but an old ham friend of mine who works for a large UK AVIONICS MFG IN PRESCOTT AZ, whom I won't name, just e-mailed me indicating that he provided the following broadcastifyRadioreference link to some CEPT group indicating that the link is a typical ham radio 2 meter repeater system?

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747

I looked it up on radioreference but I can't cross reference it to any RR/broadcastify system/feed and as mentioned it doesn't open on my pc so I don't know what he sent to this CEPT group?

13. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah...the boys in LA...no, not indicative of 2 meter repeaters elsewhere. Send him a link to the WinSytem back... Winsystem.org. 2 meter repeaters all linked around the countryside as well as around the world through VOIP...all having quite normal chats expected of amateur radio operators. The Magoos of Los Angeles stay there on that frequency and don't bother others...(most of the time anyway...)

14. N0AMY

N0AMY Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares what they want .. I purchased my radios to transmit on 144 to 148 and will continue to do so no matter what so called law is passed.. . I am not going to be ruled by the deep state new world order from some other country..

WD8ED and KA2FIR like this.
  15. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Excuse me? "OUR" frequencies? The worlds is bigger than just the US of A, you know...

PA4R, W1YW and AG5DB like this.