ad: Sussex-1

New FAA regulations require towers under 200′ to be marked

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0IW, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at SCAM 40......self contained army mast....73 Des

WN1MB likes this.
  2. G4OBB

Shows in retracted position..8 footretracted 40 foot extended

Attached Files:

N1OOQ and KA0HCP like this.
  3. K5OKE

K5OKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Both medivac and ag pilots are necessary in today's service to humanity.

N0TZU likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

There are only two of them? They must be terribly busy! ;)

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. WN1MB

Love that garden! The mast and antenna aren't too shabby, either.

6. G4OBB

Thank you sir !!!

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Baba Yaga's tower.

W0IW likes this.
  8. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So I guess a Cubex MANTIS 40m 2el quad @ 150' would be considered a giant fly swatter knocking aircraft out of the sky?

9. N9PSB

N9PSB Ham Member QRZ Page

This most likely is due to the increase of Drone usage both recreational and commercial.

10. W5KUL

W5KUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Next year the FAA will require that you register any trees, bushes, yard signs and outhouses over 25 feet tall in the database.

W4ZIF, K0UO and WN1MB like this.
  11. WN1MB

...flagpoles, chimneys...

K0UO and W5KUL like this.
  12. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

just under the limit?

[​IMG]

AB3QD, W5KUL, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  13. W4ZIF

W4ZIF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

49' or 55', does it really make a difference? If you haven't anything anywhere near your tower those additional 6' really don't make a difference do they? Reason I ask, I just erected a 55' used, T-455 retractable tower. Right now I only have inverted v dipoles in place. But I expect to place a hexbeam up there soon. Will it matter all that much if I do or don't crank the tower up to it's full hieght? Plus, what is meant by marking the tower? The tower is 2' from my garage that's at least 20' high in itself. It has a metal roof. I guess I could go up and paint a huge mural like sign that reads, "TALL TOWER, DON'T HIT IT!" Then draw an arrow. Lol

14. KC4NUN

KC4NUN Guest

As a former EMT, we worked several incidents where medical choppers were called. Before the chopper can land, you have to have an LZ (landing zone) Commander on the ground that is trained in the process of finding a suitable place to land, which includes looking at the grade of the land and visually checking for any obstacles. Once a suitable place is found, we would radio the pilot and advise them of coordinates, obstacles, etc. A sample transmission from the LZC might sound like, "Medflight One, you have trees approximately 200 feet to the south and power lines 250 feet north of your LZ...". The pilot would then do a flyover to verify and then land. All LZ's were done on the spur of the moment with the only exception being zones that were pre-certified (LZ details were maintained by the local dispatch, and were routinely inspected for hazards). Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2019
    N0TZU likes this.
  15. N2OPQ

N2OPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't sift through all the comments, but a good portion of them. I understand and appreciate what the ARRL did and published so that most amateurs will not need to worry about marking our towers if under 200ft. However, there's a good number of trees around that are over 50 ft tall.