ad: elecraft

Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source SDR Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You have an obligation to understand CFR 47 as it applies to Part 97.

My opinion on the matter--and yours--is irrelevant.

Analogous example: almost 10 years ago there was a huge problem with hand-held jammers being dumped in the US by PRC--specifically thru alibaba.com. They looked like HT's--with several duckies sticking out, and were sold as 'privacy bubbles' to stop adjacent cell phone use. Restaurants and theaters and people gobbled them up to stop those' annoying' calls in YOUR personal space. Hah!

All illegal. Big fines on many users. Thousands and thousands trashed. No more 'privacy bubbles'.

No one cares what you or I think. You have hardly made a compelling case for illegal use.

Illegal is illegal. It is fatuous for you to try to engage me in argument over a position I did not produce. Go petition the FCC if you want...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    AK5B likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, as a Part 97 licensee, your IC 7300 is illegal to use if you have modified it to transmit outside of Part 97 allocations.

Sorry, you won't be able to 'play' freeband South American fishing vessel....

AK5B likes this.
  3. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, the letter of the law is the law. We are obligated to respect the rules and be responsible users of the spectrum allocated to us...
    Practicality, may or may not be another thing entirely. Certainly there will always be the full on scofflaw that will likely ruin it for everyone else.
    I don't believe that we have heard the last word on CRF 47 and the interpretations that have been publically stated FCC's own public information people.
    It is has become a pretty big issue on the verbage within the rule making. It was pretty much a non-issue until recently. The proliferation of HT's and every other form of illegal consumer devices masquerading as ham equipment has opened up a whole can of worms for the amateur radio community. My 7300 device is not Illegal due to the fact that it has been modified. I can operate it now on 60 meters or on several federal frequencies under license of MARS not to mention use on the regular ham bands that it already was capable.
    If it was not, it still could always be restored by any FCC licensed amateur as well as any licensed commercial service tech.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Stop fantasizing exceptions. And READ my comments, don't pick out partial phrases to build a house of cards.

Yes, as a Part 97 licensee, your IC 7300 is illegal to use if you have modified it to transmit outside of Part 97 allocations.

Read Part 97 please.

Thanks.

5. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh?

6. N4GKS

China never made anything they didn’t steal from someone else. Plus, their products are inferior.

W3FHT likes this.
  7. N4GKS

What about the “MARS” radios? Playing the devils advocate, who in the he’ll belongs to MARS that their radios are always modded?

8. N4GKS

Most can’t type in plain English or use proper grammar. It’s rather annoying reading some of the posts here. I’m talking about Americans, before anyone gets on their soapbox.

KA2K and AK5B like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

R-E-A-D Part 97.

10. N4GKS

I called the carb a Quadrabog.

AK5B, K8XG and KM1H like this.
  11. N4GKS

You M-I-S-S-E-D the question. Who belongs to MARS that HRO, GIGAPARTS and so on will mod any radio, no questions asked, just so the good buddies can get on 27.185 and run 100 watts? It’s OUT OF BAND. I bet there aren’t a thousand MARS ops out there, if that many. But yet people always want that mod.

N8DC likes this.
  12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This isn't correct the way it's written. I can modify a 7300 (or any radio) all I want, or build one from scratch, convert a Part 90 radio to operate in the ham bands, etc. As a part 97 license holder, it's my responsibility to make sure I am meeting the Part 97 requirements (spectral purity, power, etc.) when operating in the ham bands. You CAN modify a 7300 to operate outside the ham bands - you just can OPERATE it in that fashion. If I modify a Part 90 radio to operate in the ham bands, then I can no longer use it as a Part 90 device in it's allocated band. That's where this logic applies - not within the Part 97 world.

There are plenty of ham radios out there that can operate outside the ham band allocations right out of the box. Mostly older radios as microprocessor controls allow the radio to prevent this. My TS-520S, TS-820S, Drake TR-4CW, etc., all will easily operate on 14.400... It's my job to see that they don't.

KM5QS, N2EY, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  13. N4GKS

That is absolutely correct.

AI7PM likes this.
  14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

As were Japanese, Korean, and Taiwan products when they started out. Many on here were too young or not even born then or just have selective memories. Currently India and Indonesia are becoming factors as they each have populations of a BILLION+ and are very intelligent people once educated. OTOH the US is going downhill in the smarts category....with notable exceptions not stifled by our laws, unions, drugs, and other things.

Many products from China these days equal or surpass our own plus are not at rip off prices which is why their economy is so strong.

W4QBQ and KF4ZKU like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Go read the regs.

I am not responsible for any attempts at gray zones on this thread.

It is your responsibility to understand what it means to have an "allocation" in the cases of an emergency, or MARS.

Ask yourself: who issues MARS callsigns, and must you be a Part 97 licensee to have a MARS license.

N4GKS likes this.