ad: Radclub22-1

New FAA regulations require towers under 200′ to be marked

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0IW, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. NK9G

NK9G XML Subscriber QRZ Page

About 15 or 20 years ago I received a letter from Milwaukee County (WI) that due to airport expansion that my 2 towers would have to come down. I have a Rohan HDBX-48’ with a VHF/UHF Antenna taking the the top/peak of the antenna to about 80’. The other tower is a EZ-Way 44’ crank up with mast coming out of the top with another VHF/UHF antenna bringing that to about 75’. (The installation is all heavy duty with no issues over past 30 years.)
    The proposed runway extension was not even over my home but the Engineer insisted. I appealed to the County Board in person with regional County Supervisor present. I explained that before any plane were to hit my towers they would be hitting the oak trees in my neighborhood. Is what the Engineer failed to identify ir mention was about 700’ South of me commercial high line towers exceeding 100’. The County Board rescinded tower removal order and the Engineer was questioned by board, “Is this how You do all Your work”? Case closed! The Chairman Of the Committee told me to go and enjoy my hobby. That was One Happy Day for me. Rick. NK 9G

WK0DX, K3RLD, NL7W and 10 others like this.
  2. KC2YMO

KC2YMO Ham Member QRZ Page

"Someone" needs a safe space.

N8VIL, KF4ZKU, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  3. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

N2EY and K0UO like this.
  4. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

just another Government way of tracking us . To control our way of life .just like england control and pay tax on towers and tv antennas and any antennas....This is another way of tracking us in our free country...

KA9UCE, K0UO, KC2YMO and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC2YMO

Yea........and?

6. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Things like this NEED to always be on Ham's minds. We have to jump through some loopholes to install a tower here IN TOWN. The city airport and uncontrolled field is on the edge of town and we need to stay outside the glidepath to the runway. I haven't looked at the map yet, as I'm not ready for a tower here, but Aircraft fly over the house all the time and I could walk to the airport from here. 50' would be a no-brainer, but 120' of Bertha pole could be an issue and not approved by city council.

Just looked we are within a few degrees of the runway centerline about 1.2 miles to our NNW.

Erika DD

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My silly 60' of #26 magnet wire strung out to a cluster of trees looks better and better after reading this thread.

K0DD, KF4ZKU, WR2E and 1 other person like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of poopie...you didn't mention if the pilot requested a new pair of undershorts as part of the settlement.

K3RLD, PA0MHS, AA4MB and 4 others like this.
  9. K3WKK

K3WKK Ham Member QRZ Page

When the FAA refers to AG aircraft, that means "Crop Dusters" that treat fields...

WK0DX and K0UO like this.
  10. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just looking over that one again, and I really should have... If that had happened to me, I KNOW I'd be doing more than inspecting the damage to the plane... The first thing would have been "Clean up in Isle 1..."

DD

KC2YMO likes this.
  11. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow with that logic you now have turned Canada
    “The nicest people on the planet” into an ugly race of haters, so, thanks for tuning off Canada’s sparkling nice guy image into a ugly haters rant..!!! I think your problem is you live to close to America so you are acting like one of us, you poser, turn in your Canada card and come out of the “Canada closet”
    and admit your American ...!!!

KF4ZKU and K8AI like this.
  12. KC2YMO

KF4ZKU and KA2K like this.
  13. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

14. KC9EE

KC9EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this might be a useful tool for AG Aviation but to throw first responders into the mix to gain support is pretty misleading. I'm skeptical as to how many data bases are checked by first responders prior to and/or in route to the scene of an accident or medical emergency. Hopefully a first responder can set me straight if needed.

K0UO likes this.
  15. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Paintball gun? Thats pretty wussy for the USA isn't it? Get the 12 gauge out.

....or climb the tower when he's in the area and give him the finger ;)

or, more legally, put a sign on the top of the tower "If you can read this, you're too ##### close!"

W8VI, KD5RJZ, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.