ad: CQMM-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 171 - World Scout Jamboree & WalMart Parking Lots On the Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jun 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a busy time in ham radio, and we are cramming two topics into one show this week!

First, Bill Stearns, NE4RD, Mike Crownover, AD5A, and Jim Wilson, K5ND will be here to talk about the World Scout Jamboree which will be hosted in the USA later this summer. Their committee is making big plans for ham radio at the Scouts BSA Jamboree, and they need your help on the air.

Plus, WalMart Parking Lots on the Air is back July 6th and 7th! We'll update you on that as well.

And as always, we will take your calls and tweets during the show!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night (6/27) at 9 pm EDT (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube. A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM on Saturday nights at approximately 6:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-650-9556 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

Ham Talk Live! will be off the air next week for the 4th of July.

NA1WJ-QSL-front-V3-ICOM-1024x658 copy.jpg Hamvention-2017-WA5DM.jpg ne4rd.jpg WMPLOTA Adam.jpg

W2HK, W2CSI, VE2HEW and 1 other person like this.
  2. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Walmarts on the air? I don't mind working every park in creation ... but ... um ... er ... that's a bit too much for me. (I am NOT being critical ... just saying I will pass on this opportunity.) :) :) ;-)

Good luck and ENJOY! As my favorite Elmer says, "Shucks, it's all good!" :)

K8JHR

K0UO, NU4R, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's sort of tongue in cheek. It came up because it turns out that a surprising amount of maidenhead grid boundaries run through walmart parking lots. That fact combined with twitter spawned WMPLOTA. It's a good time!

[edit]
    Forgot to mention that it's a satellite qso event....

WU8Y, W7UUU, WE4B and 1 other person like this.
  4. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope. I mentioned the show is about it. Don't give it away :)

WE4B likes this.
  5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to put an extra coat or two of satellite wax on the Arrow for me an W4AQT. It worked in the past, so why change now. Still waiting to see if we get multipliers for fried chicken :D

WB9VPG and NU4R like this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll pass also.

I didn't realize some in ham radio are in the habit of promoting a private business through the use of their facilities.

Tongue in cheek or not, this is a dumb idea. If the whole exercise is about satellites let the name reflect 'satellites' not some for profit business.

8. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Waaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!

K3XR, KN4DXD, W9AFB and 3 others like this.
  9. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is getting a little silly.

I do not think that there is anyone in the United States who has not heard of Wal-Mart and already has an opinion about it; good, bad or indifferent. I think that the possibility of 'promotion' is long gone. When I saw the name of the event, I laughed.

There are also at least a few communities in my state where the Wal-Mart parking lot is simply the biggest open, public space. Not every town has parks.

K7YB, W9AFB, K9ASE and 3 others like this.
  10. W5EVT

W5EVT Ham Member QRZ Page

No way, Club here wanted to use small corner of their lot to host a Santa on the Air event last Christmas.
    Manager and corporate office refused to even talk to us. Black list for me.

K6BBQ likes this.
  11. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

" WalMart Parking Lots on the Air"
    Well, it will give you something to do while waiting in the ten deep line to get thru the two or three (out of 25) open check out registers!

WU8Y and K4OCY like this.
  12. W4EAE

"Hamfest/Hamvention? I wouldn't go near that! I'm a vegetarian."

"Deviation? No thanks. I'm a traditionalist."

"Operate barefoot? No way! I have sensitive feet."

"QSL Bureau? No way! Don't you know that all bureaucrats are communists? ...plus, it's FRENCH!"

13. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

14. W4EAE

Any of these events or contests or awards are merely a construct. Even something as seemingly logical as WAS really isn't when you consider that Rhode Island has the same value as Texas. It's just a random spot chosen to stick a goal post.

All of them are 'valid.'
    None of them are 'Valid.'

WU8Y likes this.
  15. K8EL

K8EL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt I'll participate. It mostly depends if my schedule allows due to family or other responsibilities. Why not just work the satellites anyways? Does it have to take some fancy event? And do we really need an event to encourage people to use FM satellites on the weekends? Those are already a zoo. We should encourage more people to use the linear satellites. I called CQ on a linear satellite during Field Day and got much of nothing, all while FM passes were unworkable due to all the overcrowding.

KE0NAZ likes this.